Forum rules - please read before posting.

No modifications

Hello everyone!
First of all, I would like to thank the creators of AC for having invented something that seems (for the moment) really practical and quite simple to handle ! I also want to say that I'm French and that I don't really master the English language. I'm also a beginner on Unity. So I apologize if you come across some slightly incorrect and inappropriate formulations in my messages...
However, I've been experiencing a very frustrating problem while creating my game for about 2 days now. I haven't found any topics related to my request on the net, maybe I didn't look for them properly... And moreover the forum and the searchbox has some bugs, it's very very slow... I can't always connect to it. :(

So: When I make changes in the game editor, they are not considered and I don't understand why... I've tried to fix the problem by manipulating the "tag" tab or by checking / unchecking "Static" in the top right corner... Sometimes my problem was solved, sometimes not at all !!.

Indeed, I don't understand the behavior of this drop-down menu and this checkbox, although I checked in the manual what it could mean... And I haven't found any precise answer about how to handle these things.
I would like to point out that this problem is occurring at the moment on the creation of sortings maps ... But I had already had a similar case with hotspots that didn't want to take into account my settings in "use interactions".

Here it is... I don't know if it comes from AC or Unity, but if someone has a solution and a clear answer, I would be very grateful ;)

Thanks

Comments

• edited May 2020

Welcome to the community, @Ravel.

Apologies for the forum troubles - I am aware of them and I am looking into things.

When I make changes in the game editor, they are not considered and I don't understand why... I've tried to fix the problem by manipulating the "tag" tab or by checking / unchecking "Static" in the top right corner

The Tags tab, and the Static checkbox, are both elements of the Unity Editor - they aren't a part of AC. You can learn more about them in Unity's documentation pages:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Tags.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StaticObjects.html

If you can provide an example, however, I can try to give more specifc advice.

I would like to point out that this problem is occurring at the moment on the creation of sortings maps ... But I had already had a similar case with hotspots that didn't want to take into account my settings in "use interactions".

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "not considered"? You're making a change to a Hotspot or Sorting Map, and then what? It resets at some moment? Bear in mind that changes made to a scene during Play mode will be undone when you re-enter Edit mode.

Also check that you're editing these objects in your scene - and not prefabs that aren't present in there. I think it would be best to see screenshots of what's going on, because I'm a little confused about the specifics here.

• Heyhey!
    Thanks for that quick response !... :)
    Actually I think the term "considered" is a little translation issue... I mean my settings are not being "taken into account".

I can't even explain the behavior of the engine at the time of the incident in my native language so... :/

What exactly is going on? I make a lot of adjustments (often related to the numbers, like changing some of them (but ) and when I play the game or make another adjustment, it's like you say: everything is reseted... (but at the moment I'm writing I realize that it already did it to me when I was writing very simple dialogues...) and sometimes by a miracle I finally manage to make the adjustment, but in my opinion there seems to be no particular "coherence"... I can't define precisely where the initial problem comes from.

So, yes: it resets at some moments

Thank you for your attention (and for the links :) )

• Indeed, the problem occurs after coming out of "play mode" ! :( Sorry I didn't understand your last sentences, but they are very important...

However, I don't understand the difference between an object and a prefab. I've watched the video tutorials and read a lot of articles but I every time do what is mentioned but... So I don't know how to "edit" that, is the method for doing that similar to the "apply" button on the sprite editor, for example?...

If it is, it's not on every tab, so how to do it please ?

( Otherwise, a screenshot would not illustrate the problem clearly, as it occurs in several very precise cases (and therefore after having launched the test of the game with the "play" button ) )

• edited May 2020

Prefabs, too, are a Unity concept - you can find full documentation on them here:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Prefabs.html

A prefab is an object that exists in your project - not your scene. When you place a prefab in that scene, you create a local reference to it - or "scene instance".

Changes made to this "scene instance" are separate from the prefab it's linked to - until you click "Apply".

If you change a prefab that isn't present in your scene, then your scene won't update. This may have nothing to do with your issue, but that's the only related thing I can think of without knowing more details.

At the moment, I can't tell what it is you're editing - a prefab, an asset file, or a scene object. Please share some screenshots of the process - i.e. changing something, then it changing back. This isn't an issue that's been reported before - and I'm not clear if this an issue with AC or Unity - so I really do need to see how things are behaving.

• Thank you, indeed this problem came from the fact that I wasn't editing my prefabs, thanks to the documentation you posted (and your explanations) I was able use AC properly now.