Forum rules - please read before posting.

9 verbs template and v1.71 issues

Hi! I've downloaded the new 1.71 version and added the 9 verbs template because I wanted to check the update. I've found some differences with the previous template version, now it seems closer to SCUMM but there are some issues that I'd like to understand:

1. The verbs list has not displayed in the game mode
  2. The template stays in 4:3 format... it seems to not change if I change the game resolution

Many thanks!

Comments

• The verbs list has not displayed in the game mode

I'm not clear what you mean here.

The template stays in 4:3 format... it seems to not change if I change the game resolution

The template's Settings Manager enforces this - but you can undo it by unchecking Force aspect ratio? underneath its "Camera settings" panel.

• Thanks! About the first question, I mean the checkbox Preview in Game window. It seems not working to me...

• That option is for AC menus. For Unity UI, just drop the canvas prefab into the scene to view/edit it outside of runtime.

The template's canvas prefabs can be found in the UI subfolder. For more on working with Unity UI menus, see the Manual's "Unity UI menus" chapter.

• edited May 2020

In the previous version of the template in the menu properties (source field) there was "Adventure Creator" preset for all the Menu. And as for your answer the preview in game worked. The new template once installed set "Unity UI prefab" in all these fields. And consequently the behavior is normal...now if I set "Adventure Creator" in that field the template stops working... could you give me more information about this setting?

• A Menu's "Source" property determines the method used to render it.

"Adventure Creator" means that it's handled internally, meaning you can edit it directly from within the Menu Manager, at the cost of reduced flexibility.

"Unity UI Prefab" means that it uses Unity UI to handle the rendering, which is a little more involved to get set up, but gives you much greater control so far as customisation goes.

The updates made to the template, particularly the refinements made to simulate the SCUMM-like "Verb line", mean that it's now necessary to use the Unity UI variant. Though, I'll see if it can be again updated to work in "AC" mode with a few minor features reserved for Unity UI.

See the Manual's "Menus overview" chapter for full details on how the menu system works. A tutorial on converting an AC menu into a Unity UI one can be found here.

• Thanks a lot! It's really clear now.