Forum rules - please read before posting.

Closing a popup Sprite Graphic by clicking anywhere on screen

edited May 2020 in Technical Q&A

Hi,

i use a hotspot2D and sprite with Moveable component and Object > Transfer to pop up a sprite graphic puzzle on screen with buttons / hotspots to switch on/off various lights etc.
Everything works 100%.

I want the player to be able to close this sprite graphic by clicking anywhere on the screen except the sprite graphic area.
I don't want to use a button hotspot to close it.
Similar to how Machinarium opens and closes all the puzzle graphics on screen. As simple as that.

I've tried a few things with no success.
On my mind it would be ideal to have a trigger covering my sprite graphic and then somehow tell it: if player clicks outside the trigger then activate actionlist A and so hide the sprite graphic.
Similar to Trigger type "On enter / On exit" but with left mouse click.

Is something like that possible? and if not what is the best way?

Thank you

Comments

• edited May 2020

If you don't want to rely on a menu or Hotspot covering the screen, it's best done with a simple script. If the sprite itself is a Hotspot, you can check to see if it's active when the mouse is clicked, and then run an ActionList:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class ClickOffHotspot : MonoBehaviour
    {

public ActionList actionListToRun;
        public Hotspot hotspotToNotBeOver;

private void Update ()
        {
            if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown (0) && KickStarter.playerInteraction.GetActiveHotspot () != hotspotToNotBeOver)
            {
                actionListToRun.Interact ();
            }
        }
    }

• Hi,

1)
    i just add on my sprite a Hotspot Component and a new script.
    I copy paste the code and name the script ClickOffHotspot.

The script shows two boxes, the action list to run (which i set) and the Hotspot to not be over, which is the same sprite that i added the hotspot before.

What am i doing wrong?
    https://imgur.com/HBaIwoZ

The thing is that even when i add the script to a random object then when i play none of the hotspot in the game work.

2)
    You mentioned "If you don't want to rely on a menu or Hotspot covering the screen"
    Can you also please explain the "Hotspot covering the screen" part. I would love to learn how to do that too in case i need it elsewhere. If i make a hotspot covering the screen, won't it overlap with my sprite hotspot buttons?

Thank you

• 1) To have it only work at certain times, you'll need to use a variable to determine when it should work.

Attach a Variables component to the same sprite/Hotspot and define a single Bool variable named e.g. "Can Click Away". Replace the ClickOffHotspot script above with this:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class ClickOffHotspot : MonoBehaviour
    {

public ActionList actionListToRun;

private void Update ()
        {
            if (GetComponent <Variables>().GetVariable (0).BooleanValue && Input.GetMouseButtonDown (0) && KickStarter.playerInteraction.GetActiveHotspot () != GetComponent <Hotspot>())
            {
                actionListToRun.Interact ();
            }
        }
    }

Attach it to the same Hotspot, and then set the Variable's value (using the Variable: Set Action) to True when you want it to take effect.

2) You said in your original post "I don't want to use a button hotspot to close it", which I took to mean a Hotspot covering the screen, i.e. making the whole screen one large Hotspot so that clicking it runs the "exit" interaction.

This is a viable method, since you can turn the Hotspot on and off using the Hotspot: Enable or disable Action. If two Hotspots overlap in a 2D game, you should find that the one closer to the camera in the z-axis "wins" over the other one.

• edited May 2020

Hello,

when i said "I don't want to use a button hotspot to close it" i meant an actual graphical button on my sprite with a hotspot which closes the popup. But it was lost in translation. :-)
    OMG i didn't know about the priority of the hotspot on Z axis. My problem is solved using that technique, it's exactly what i wanted, thank you so much.

Only out of curiosity and because a reader here might need this and learn something, i tried what you suggested about solution 1) but can't make it work.
    I replaced the code, i successfully managed to use a variable to determine when it should work and take affect but...
    Now, the pop up sprite appears on screen, the code then becomes active but wherever i click (including inside the sprite puzzle buttons and area) the code closes and hides the sprite and so the puzzle.

What am i missing?

Here is my sprite inspector.
    https://imgur.com/0jKESuX

Thank you

• I was assuming that the Hotspot was covering the whole object - so clicking off the Hotspot would be equivalent to clicking anywhere except the whole sprite.

You could adapt the code to instead check if it's over a collider that covers the sprite.