Forum rules - please read before posting.

Problem with duplicated actions in action lists

Hello!

First, I wanted to say that I really appreciate Adventure Creator - it's a fantastic tool, and I'm having a blast using it! :) Although I have a weird problem:

I've experienced a bug in my in-scene action lists for some time now. I've scoured the forums several times, but I've never found anyone else with the same problem... I've started thinking that it might be because I'm using Unity Collaborate when working on the project with my team, although I'm guessing that I'm not the only one that's using Collaborate along with AC?

The problem is that from time to time, I find that actions have been duplicated several times inside an action list. The duplicated actions are placed directly behind the original ones, making it hard to spot that the duplicates are there (but you can notice it in-game, as some speech lines are repeated several times, etc.) See this picture for an example for what I mean: https://i.ibb.co/gJpDV43/Duplicates.jpg

The actions marked in red are duplicates. In this example, it's not such a big problem, as the duplicated actions aren't actually going to run (actions 7, 12 and 9 are never triggered), but it's still very annoying and often a cause for unwanted bugs :/

To fix up these action lists is getting frustrating and time-consuming. The procedure is to move the original action in order to see if there's something behind, and then delete the duplicates. I haven't been able to find out exactly what's causing this, but I have a hunch that maybe using Collaborate is causing this? Could it be some error that happens when a scene file is downloaded from the cloud, replacing a scene file in the local folder?

Anyone got any ideas? :neutral:

Comments

• edited April 2020

Yes, I'd expect this is certainly down to Collaborate - but may be more of a quirk of the way Unity works than anything.

On a technical level - at least so far as I understand it - Actions are themselves ScriptableObjects. When SOs are saved in a scene, they're saved as part of the scene itself - not as a property of the GameObject they're associated with. This is essentially why scene-based ActionLists cannot be prefabbed. I expect that this is also why you're getting such an issue.

This would certainly be more than just a nuisance - particularly as you've got speech Actions that will get gathered up twice by the Speech Manager.

Relying on ActionList asset files instead should avoid this issue - see the note in the Manual's "Version control and collaboration" chapter. All logic objects (Hotspot, Conversation, etc) allow you to reference asset files instead, and you can convert scene-based ActionLists to asset files via the cog menu in their Inspectors.

• Thank you for your reply! I will try to use ActionList asset files instead. Also, I see now that you've already covered this in the manual. My bad :)

Have a nice weekend!