Forum rules - please read before posting.

"Straight to cursor" issue and requests

I've been implementing straight to cursor movement in my project with "single clicking also moves player" and single click pathfinding, but I've found that Adventure Creator isn't recognizing a normally paced click as a "single click", rather for it to work you have to be awkwardly quick and deliberate on lifting your finger from the click.

Would it be possible to add a variable input for how long the mouse is held before the character begins moving straight to the cursor? That way we could have the option for the game to play more like a standard point and click, unless the mouse is held for X amount of time, then the character would follow the cursor smoothly. Following from that request, it would be nice if a "double click to run" option was added for straight to cursor movement.

Another issue that I've had is that the "run threshold" can be somewhat spotty when the player is holding the cursor near that threshold. The character will do a crazy sputtering movement, flashing back and forth between running and walking animations. It's not constant, but it happens often enough that it's a problem, especially when the camera is following the player in a side scrolling like manner.

Comments

• Have you tried tinkering with the click time values?  This is a somewhat "hidden" feature of AC, but if you select the GameEngine prefab and look under the Player Input component, you'll find that you can change the delay time between single- and double-clicks.  Playing around with those may get the results you want.
  • That was a huge help, I had no idea those controls were there! Thanks, Chris.