Forum rules - please read before posting.

Top Down Adventure Game style

edited May 16 in Technical Q&A

Hi, I would like to know if AC would be suitable for prototyping a top-down adventure game.
With keyboard/mouse or gamepad controls.
Keyboard to move the caracter and the mouse to point objects and NPC.
A mix of Miami hotline and point & click

Thx

Comments

• It's not intended for action games like Hotline Miami, but controlling the Player with a keyboard or gamepad is just a case of setting the Movement method to Direct.

In a 2D game, the "top-down" aspect is just a case of using top-down artwork. Independent of the "Movement method", you can still rely on the mouse to interact with Hotspots.

• I found a way to orient the character always towards the mouse pointer (thanks to an external script).
    I would like to adapt this script so that we follow the position of the pointer.
    I was thinking of using
    AC.KickStarter.playerInput.GetMousePosition();

Here the script that i used:

https://code.empreintesduweb.com/15004.html

• If your Movement method is set to Direct, you can assign a Transform to the Player's DirectMovementTargetLock property to have the Player face it at all times.

The following example, attached to an object in the scene, will have the Player face it:

using UnityEngine;
    public class PlayerLookAt : MonoBehaviour
    {
        void Update () { AC.KickStarter.player.DirectMovementTargetLock = transform; }
    }

To have the Player follow the mouse, try attaching it to an object that also has the World Space Cursor Example component, set to collide with the NavMesh layer (presuming the floor is also on this layer).

• edited June 3

It's good i find the solution.
    i used the KickStarter.playerInput.GetMousePosition (); instead of Input.mousePosition;

Thanks