Forum rules - please read before posting.

UI appearing outside screen on ultrawide monitors

I don't know if I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, or misunderstanding this concept.

But I've ticked the box "fixed ratio" in camera settings and chosen 1.78, as this corresponds to 16:9. I then test-play my game in that aspect ratio in Unity, to get the correct image.
When I draw the Unity UIs, in canvas scaler I choose 1600 x 900 as the reference resolution, and then scale with screen size.

Still when one tester plays, all the dialogue options, which are displayed with a Unity UI, appear far outside the screen. He has an ultra wide monitor with what I'm guessing has a 21:9 ratio.

Is there something I'm missing?

Comments

• If your Menus rely on Unity UI, a little more work is needed to have them conform to the given aspect ratio.

This is typically just a case of attaching and configuring the Auto Correct UI Dimentions. The Manual chapter of the same name has details on its usage - but if you share screenshots of the Menu in question I can give more specific advice.

• I have to say the whole UI thing is very confusing. But here are some screenshots of my settings, and the results:

Here's the UI prefab

The panel, which I use as rect transform, it also has a transparent image component.

How it looks in 16:9, and how it should look

How it looks in 21:9

This is all without checking the auto correct UI dimensions, because I don't understand the settings, so I don't wanna meddle with it blindly.

All of the other settings are a bit greek to me, including the canvas scaler, so I've basically just experimented around until it looked right on the most common resolutions.

But what should I put in the anchor min/max in the auto-correct window to make it work for 21:9?

• You should first change the Panel's alignment and pivot to the left edge, so that it always covers the left edge without overlapping the top/bottom edges (of the natural screen, not the AC-enforced one).

To do this, go to the Panel's RectTransform, click the alignment icon, and then shift-click the lower-left one (Left/Stretch). This'll force it to be aligned to the left edge:

Then, attach the Auto Correct UI Dimensions to the root, check Update position?, and set the Min/Max anchor points to (0,0) (0,1).

For a similar example, see the default InventoryUI prefab - it aligns itself along the top screen edge, rather than the left, but the principle is the same.

• Working wonderfully (as always with your support!) :)

• edited May 16

Nevermind this, solved the problem!