Forum rules - please read before posting.

Errors after upgrading to 1.80.4

Hi @ChrisIceBox

I just updated to 1.80.4 and have started getting weird things happening and errors.

The first errors was that the PixelCrusher namespace wasn't found in a dozen or so actions. As I don't use PixelCrushers I removed those action lists, restarted and it looked good enough.

I've also noticed that a load of actionlists appear blank, but the number of actions are shown correctly at the bottom of the actionlist window. The actionlists themselves don't actually run, so nothing happens, which is obviously a bit of a game-breaker.

Also, titles of hotspots have started appearing when they didn't use to.

https://imgur.com/a/hMWzoGA

Any ideas?

Olly

Comments

• edited April 13

Which version were you previously using, and do you have a backup?

This sounds like a serious issue, but it's not one I can recreate. Please share as much detail as you can about your project - platform, other assets/scripts, etc will all help.

The first errors was that the PixelCrusher namespace wasn't found in a dozen or so actions. As I don't use PixelCrushers I removed those action lists, restarted and it looked good enough.

There was a compatibility issue with v1.80.x and older versions of Dialogue System, but this has been resolved with the latest DS release - and can also be fixed manually by moving DS's Actions into a separate folder outside of AC's root directory.

I've also noticed that a load of actionlists appear blank, but the number of actions are shown correctly at the bottom of the actionlist window. The actionlists themselves don't actually run, so nothing happens, which is obviously a bit of a game-breaker.

Is there a pattern to which ActionLists are showing this issue, e.g. in a particular scene, only asset files, those that use custom Actions, etc?

Do any error messages appear in the Console when viewing them, and are you able to restore their Backup data via the cog menu in the ActionList's component Inspector?

I can't reproduce such an issue, but v1.80.x introduced a custom .asmdef file inside the AdventureCreator/Scripts folder. Are you relying on your own such file that may be conflicting?

You're welcome to PM me your project (sans Library folder) with details of which ActionLists are broken.

Also, titles of hotspots have started appearing when they didn't use to.

As in, your Hotspot menu was previously locked, or not present in your Menu Manager? Your screenshot only shows "Title", so I'm not sure if the issue is that the Hotspot label is incorrect, or that its showing at all.

• Hi Chris

I was on 1.74.something.

The only errors were about the dialogue system integration. Nothing now shown that I've fixed the issue.

The issue with the hotspots is that Title is shown. Previously no name was shown at all, I don't use them. I've checked the setting files are correct in the adventure creator settings window and haven't reverted back to the demo ones.

Yes, have a backup, luckily.

When's the next update release date?

• Reading through the 1.80 release notes I see this.

"the main one being that of scene ActionLists becoming corrupted if Unity is opened with compilation errors"

Well, the dialogue system integration certainly caused compile issues at startup,.I had to start in safe mode. Could it be that? I'm assuming we mean corrupted as in not-fixable?

Olly

• edited April 13

The issue with the hotspots is that Title is shown. Previously no name was shown at all, I don't use them. I've checked the setting files are correct in the adventure creator settings window and haven't reverted back to the demo ones.

Check your Menu Manager - the Hotspot label will be appearing from the Hotspot menu, which you can delete or lock or if you wish to hide it.

Well, the dialogue system integration certainly caused compile issues at startup,.I had to start in safe mode. Could it be that? I'm assuming we mean corrupted as in not-fixable?

AC records backups of your scene's ActionList data - see the "Action data -> Restore" option in your scene-based ActionList's component.

If this was the cause, it's likely that only scene(s) that were open at the time (and saved afterwards) would have been affected.

Are your ActionList issues related to one specific scene? As you have a backup, you should also be able to just copy over your backup of that scene file.

• Right, slowly getting there

I restored from backup. Then re-imported 1.80.4. I still got the PixelCrusher errors but I removed those actions.

Before I imported, I created a blank scene, and imported with that loaded, and as a result I don't seem to have to have had any corrupt actionlists.

I've re-locked the Hotspot text, which solved that.

However, the last issue I can see is that, despite having TextMeshProIsPresent in the compiule settings, the Menu Manager has defaulted to Text rather than TextMesh and so a great number of text objects are showing the default values, and actionlists that change the menu element text don't work.

Here's a screenshot.
    https://imgur.com/a/wRsDn4m

Any ideas on that last one @ChrisIceBox ?

• Inside each Menu, check the new Use TMP components? in the Properties panel.

From the release notes:

• The manual addition of 'IsPresent' Scripting Define Symbols is no longer required for AC's TextMesh Pro, Addressables and Localization integrations
    • TextMesh Pro support for Menus is now a dedicated option in a Menu's properties panel

v1.80 is a big release - you can find a list of all changes you need to be aware of here.