Forum rules - please read before posting.

Speech Placement on Spine Player Actor

Hi Chris. How do I have my player subtitles to be set to a specific spech placement ike with the player? I have my actor in a timeline.

Comments

• I'm not sure i understand, and what kind of Game is it, but there is a Speech Bubble Template in the Downloads, is that what you are looking for?

https://adventurecreator.org/downloads

https://adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/7787/above-speaking-character-menu-is-not-above-head-on-some-npcs

Not sure if timeline changes the placement of the Dialogue, since it's displaying the dialogue menu.
    There's also a Speech Menu Placement Child in the "Dialogue" Section of the Player/NPC, when you have the "Above Speaking Character" option enabled.

• I’ve got all that working, but my player actor, ie one that is used in a timeline, (not my actual player) need to have the same speech above the head. But at the minute the speech bubble is in the corner of the screen as the player is off screen
  • Personally, I'd just reassign the action's field to use the NPC you want (the "player actor") instead of the actual player. If you really must assign the actual player for whatever reason, I'd try playing with the position of the player's Speech Menu Placement child (either via animation or by teleporting it to the desired location and then back).

• Attach an NPC component to the "actor", update your Speech tracks to have them be spoken by the NPC, and set the Subtitle menu's Appear type to Above Speaking Character.

• So, I have attached an NPC to my spine actor, made it a prefab (as timeline speech has to be a prefab), subtitle menu already had Appear Type as Above. But no speech is appearing. See video here, thanks:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/eujtdc92c55kfeistsg1q/ActorSpeech.mov?rlkey=lweilo63eku9rgn8p2t6dpoc2&dl=0

• Pause the game at the time - is the UI prefab present in the Hierarchy?

What is the effect of setting For speakers of type to All?

• Pause the game at the time - is the UI prefab present in the Hierarchy?

No

What is the effect of setting For speakers of type to All?

No speech for my actor, but all other characters now have the speechbubble

• Check your Console - are you getting a related message?

• So, this might be a clue?

Speech Track Rufus Speech cannot find speaker with Constant ID = 180650

-> AC debug logger
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object,UnityEngine.Object)
    AC.ACDebug:LogWarning (object,UnityEngine.Object) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/ACDebug.cs:33)
    AC.SpeechTrack:CreateTrackMixer (UnityEngine.Playables.PlayableGraph,UnityEngine.GameObject,int) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Speech/Timeline/SpeechTrack.cs:72)
    UnityEngine.Playables.PlayableAsset:Internal_CreatePlayable (UnityEngine.Playables.PlayableAsset,UnityEngine.Playables.PlayableGraph,UnityEngine.GameObject,intptr)
    AC.ActionTimeline:Run () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionTimeline.cs:105)
    AC.ActionList/<RunAction>d__46:MoveNext () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:467)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine (System.Collections.IEnumerator)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessAction (int) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:408)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessActionEnd (AC.ActionEnd,int,bool) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:616)
    AC.ActionList:EndActionParallel (AC.Action) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:701)
    AC.ActionList/<RunAction>d__46:MoveNext () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:535)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessAction (int) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:408)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessActionEnd (AC.ActionEnd,int,bool) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:616)
    AC.ActionList:EndAction (AC.Action) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:575)
    AC.ActionList/<RunAction>d__46:MoveNext () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:539)
    AC.ActionList:EndAction (AC.Action) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:575)
    AC.ActionList/<RunAction>d__46:MoveNext () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:539)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator,intptr) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Runtime/Export/Scripting/Coroutines.cs:17)

Here are photos showing the speech timeline and the new prefab actor

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/wzr548mep0tw01ers4wsf/h?rlkey=c9f7b4zg9loflf0osc7ap4lmt&dl=0

• The NPC in the scene needs to be active in the scene for the track to detect it - are you disabling it with an Activation Track?

• Yes, but the speech plays after the NPC is activated

• edited January 25

Plus on scene start he is active, disabling the activation timeline does not make the speech appear for the npc The error dissapeared but no speech bubble. I would prefer to do this with the binding of the player in a timeline, so no need for an actor, but I just don't get the explanation, and have never gotten it to work. I tutorial would really help

• edited January 26

The process of rebinding the Player is covered in the Timeline interactions section in the 3D Primer tutorial.

• Is this possible with a spine player though? As I would need to animate the child?

• Do you mean you want to rebind to the Player prefab's child object?

So long as the object has a Constant ID with "Retain in prefab?" checked, rebinding should work the same.