Forum rules - please read before posting.

/Solved: Suddenly almost all Actionlist Actions deleted, empty action error

edited January 13 in Engine development

//I've tried a bit around and i think the culprit was that dissolve asset, that somehow interfered with AC or Unity and broke something while it was in the Scene, because it only broke things in that particular Scene.

I was able to restore some actions through the actionlist restore function, others are sadly lost, but i think i'll manage recreating them. And immediately going to do a better Job at Version Control.

I don't know if those errors help, or how a user could prevent this better.

I had imported a Dissolve Asset, but i deleted it again (and only that folder nothing else), and it didn't have anything to do with AC or anything related.

It also shows me the right amount of actions at the bottom, but nothing in the Actionlist Window:

On other ones it just shows the standard action "Engine: Wait", as if it was newly created.

I've tried reopening it, but that didn't change anything.

I thought maybe updating will help, so i updated to the latest Version 1.79.3. but that didn't help either.

Unity Version: 2022.3.14f1

It gives me these Errors:

An empty Action was found, and was deleted

-> AC debug logger
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object,UnityEngine.Object)
AC.ACDebug:LogWarning (object,UnityEngine.Object) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/ACDebug.cs:33)
AC.ActionListEditor:DrawSharedElements (AC.ActionList) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/Editor/ActionListEditor.cs:263)
AC.ActionListEditor:OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/Editor/ActionListEditor.cs:37)
UnityEditor.InspectorWindow:RedrawFromNative ()

And all is the same, except after the "Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/Editor/ActionListEditor.cs:263)" line, there's also:

AC.ActionListEditor:OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/Editor/ActionListEditor.cs:37)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

AC.AC_TriggerEditor:OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Logic/Editor/AC_TriggerEditor.cs:19)

Comments

• Apologies for your trouble - I'm glad you were able to recover some of the data loss.

Did the other asset cause errors that appeared in the Console, separately to the ones shown by AC?

Yes - always use version control, it's a must when working with any proper Unity project, with or without AC.

• No worries, thanks for implementing that actionlist saving :)

Indeed there was, but the weird thing is it only came up later. I worked with it in the Project/Scene with no errors in editor/play/stop whatsoever. And only after restarting at a later time a red line came up. So, i deleted it, because that was the only thing i could think of.

Is it enough to backup these actionlists by copying the Scene files or are there seperate files i should backup, too?

• Sounds like the issue is isolated to the scene you were in at the time, so backing up that scene file will be the main thing - but I'd strongly urge the use of version control on the project as a whole. Github Desktop is the easiest way to do this, I find.