Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can't install the PLAYER PREFAB: FIRST-PERSON

So I was following the first-person primer tutorial and figured most everything except for the first-person player prefab from https://adventurecreator.org/downloads

In the video it's just the matter of dragging and dropping the prefab into the scene but in the (presumably) new version of the first-person prefab you need to "Select the Template_FirstPersonPlayer asset file and click Apply in its Inspector to update your game" (that's from the ReadMe file) otherwise the prefab doesn't work. The thing is I have no "apply" in the inspector and can't seem to figure out how to install it.

I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious, but I really can't seem to do anything with the Template file. What am I missing?

Unity 2022.3.9f1

Comments

• That's right - the template system is a recent introduction. I'll add a note about this in the video's description, thanks for the prompt.

The file in your screenshot is the script file - not the Template asset itself. You can find that - Template_FirstPerson - a couple of folders back - inside /Assets/AdventureCreator/Downloads/First person Player.

• The screenshot is actually what's showing up after I click on the Template_FirstPerson located in /Assets/AdventureCreator/Downloads/First person Player. I'm sorry it's probably something obvious but I can't figure out where the "apply" is supposed to be, because the only inspector I see is this on the screenshot. I can right-click it and edit the code but I don't see inspector/apply there either.

Also thank you so much Chris for taking your time and answering all these questions on this forum. You have no idea how much that means for clueless people like me.

• edited December 2023

@EridanFresh Forget about the Apply for a second and try if the Prefab works for you. I don't know what it does but probably makes things more convenient and applies Settings for the Player.

Try to follow the Video, and set those up manually for now, like here:

That will also give you a more thorough understanding on a First Person Player Setup.

/Assets/AdventureCreator/Downloads/First person Player/Assets/FirstPersonPlayer.prefab

The Player Prefab is what you can put into your Player Settings in the AC Editor -> Settings -> "Characters" or just place it in the Scene.
    The tutorial shows you the Settings you have to set, but just try the Prefab out first, put it in a scene and press Start.

(with the correct game settings, first person player etc. but that's also in the tut. AC Game Editor -> Settings -> Interface -> Lock Screen in Center.)

• I tried adding the player prefab without running the template file, but it doesn't work because it says it has missing scripts (or something like that) and gives me a compiler error when trying to test the game. When I inspect the Playe prefab it has missing components (which I understand are the things that the template is supposed to add). Not at home at the moment but I can make more screenshots later or try to make a short video of how it behaves.

• Thanks for the details. Apologies - I understand what you're showing now.

If you're getting a compilation error, then the custom Inspector won't load, nor will the prefab display properly. You can check this from the Console window.

Which AC version are you using? Generally, you'll need to use the latest AC version if you're importing packages from the Downloads page.

If not the latest, backup/duplicate your project and update AC from the Package Manager. The template Inspector should then show correctly.