Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot Detection Method

edited December 2023 in Technical Q&A

Hello,

I believe I have encountered a bug related to the Hotspot Detection method. When I modify the method through a custom script action, alternating between 'mouse' and 'vicinity', the hotspot ceases to be detected.

Here is the custom action script

`public override float Run ()
    {
        AC.KickStarter.settingsManager.hotspotDetection = HotspotDetection.MouseOver;

if (!isRunning)
        {
            isRunning = true;
            return defaultPauseTime;
        }
        else
        {
            isRunning = false;
            return 0f;
        }
    }`

I only edited this part, everything else is the same.

I have unity 2023
and Latest AC update

Comments

• As the Action only needs to run once, you can simplify it to:

public override float Run ()
    {
        KickStarter.settingsManager.hotspotDetection = HotspotDetection.MouseOver;
    }

Which method are you having trouble with, and do you have issues if you set that method as the default within the Settings Manager, before changing it at runtime?

• > As the Action only needs to run once, you can simplify it to:

public override float Run ()
    {
        KickStarter.settingsManager.hotspotDetection = HotspotDetection.MouseOver;
    }

I set it like this and I got this error:

"ActionChangeHotspotDetectionToMouse.cs(34,25): error CS0161: 'ActionChangeHotspotDetectionToMouse.Run()': not all code paths return a value"

and I fixed it with:

`public override float Run ()
    {
                        AC.KickStarter.settingsManager.hotspotDetection = HotspotDetection.MouseOver;

return 0;
    }`

Which method are you having trouble with, and do you have issues if you set that method as the default within the Settings Manager, before changing it at runtime?

-Both methods have this issue when switching from mouse to vicinity or from vicinity to mouse.
    -No issue with the default method. It just stops working when changing the detection method via this action script.

• edited December 2023

and I fixed it with:

Quite right.

No issue with the default method. It just stops working when changing the detection method via this action script.

Thanks for the details - I'll attempt a recreation. Does the issue also occur if - instead of running the Action - you manually change the "Hotspot detection method" field at runtime in the Settings Manager?

• edited December 2023

Does the issue also occur if - instead of running the Action - you manually change the "Hotspot detection method" field at runtime in the Settings Manager?

Yes, even when changing it manually through the settings manager the issue is still there.

• When set to "Player Vicinity", uncheck Place distant Hotspots on separate layer?.

• Thanks Chris. It works fine now even with the custom script.