Forum rules - please read before posting.

Voice Files - any disadvantage of "By Direct Reference"?

Hello! Just hooking up a VO system to my game. The tutorial covers By Naming Convention and makes it clear Addressables is more efficient, but there's no real talk of "By Direct Reference", except a mention in the manual.

Is there a disadvantage to this system, other than having to drag and drop everything into the Speech Manager? It feels a little more natural to me, and means filenames can make it clear what the line is... but is there a performance cost, or some other hit further down the line that I'm not seeing?

Any help much appreciated

d

Comments

• Not sure about disadvantages, but I used the direct reference on my DEMO (900 text lines) and did not ran into any problems.

• edited December 2023

Performance cost is indeed the main disadvantage - with the cost being tied to the number of lines involved.

With By Direct Reference, you're giving Unity a direct link between your audio files and the Speech Manager, so you're effectively loading all audio into memory when the game begins.

You can lower the initial performance cost by playing with the AudioClip Inspector itself - i.e. enabling Streaming / Load In Background, but Addressables will still be the most performant option.

Regarding filenames: the most recent AC release allows you to assign a custom key to Addressable speech lines, allowing things to be more clear on the Editor UI side of things.

• Sounds like Addressables is the way to do it, then. Thanks Chris, much appreciated :)