Forum rules - please read before posting.

Transition from Timeline to First Person Player

edited November 2023 in Technical Q&A

The Game is using a First Person Player, with the Player in the Scene.

I'm using a Timeline at the Start of the Scene to animate a Camera and have a little Dialogue.

It goes like this:
1. "Wake Up" Simple Camera, with animation - moves in a chair and looks at an NPC.
2. Dialogue Plays with the Ability to click during it (so it just doesn't play in a set timeframe, although this would've been my solution if it doesn't work how i intended).
3. Camera should stay this way until the NPC moved away, but the Timeline stops and pops to the Player.
It should however behave like when setting an "Ease Out" on the Main Camera Track but only when wanted, not as part of the timeline.

I disable and enable the Player, so it can't be controlled directly, while the Dialogue plays.

If i set the Timeline Wrap Mode to Hold, it stays like it should, but the smooth Transition to the Player does not work.
Because when using the "Engine: Control Timeline - Stop" it makes it pop right to the Player aswell.

After the Dialogue an NPC walks away, the camera should switch smoothly to the player, using the "Camera: Switch" Action with return to last Gameplay enabled.

So generally, what would be the correct way to smoothly transition from a Timeline back to Gameplay, with a smooth transition, but having the Dialogue interactible (So the Player can read at his own pace)?

I think i'm doing something the wrong way (or too complicated).

Actionlist:

Timeline:

Unity 2022.3.14f
AC 1.79.1

Comments

• It may not be appropriate for all cases, but this script on the AC wiki allows you to pause/skip Timeline speech based on user input:

https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Skipping_Timeline_speech

It may be that you can use it here to embed the speech directly within the Timeline using AC Speech tracks.

Otherwise, you'll need to ensure that your game remains in Cutscene mode after the Timeline ends. This is because - when using First Person - AC will automatically return to the First Person Camera once gameplay resumes. In the MainCamera Track Inspector, check Sets camera after running?.

The easiest way to do this is to run the subsequent Speech etc Actions after the Engine: Control Timeline Action that starts the Timeline in the first place.

So long as it's one continuous cutscene, you shouldn't need to rely on the Engine: Manage systems Action to affect the Player's state - since just skipping speech doesn't count as gameplay so far as AC goes.

If you do want to allow for "gameplay" during this time, you can use the Engine: Manage sytems Action's Change movement method? option to set it to None, which will prevent the automatic camera-switch.

If the Camera: Switch Action at the end isn't providing a smooth transition (which may be the case if you haven't yet had regular gameplay in the scene), uncheck Return to last gameplay? and assign the Player's First Person Camera manually.

• Thank you Chris, that helped. It's now working as intended!