Forum rules - please read before posting.

A Horror game? Gasp! Seeking Advice...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Adventure Creator, and kudos to Chris for the fantastic Adventure Creator: 2D primer tutorial.
While I'm not a Unity expert, I've worked on a platformer game before this. I'm comfortable using no-coding assets and adding simple code when needed. I also own Playmaker and Dialogue System for unity.

I'm drawing inspiration from the classic game "Clock Tower" for Windows 95, and my goal is to create a 2D point-and-click adventure using Adventure Creator with some horror elements.

I've read the forum rules, especially number 5 ("This extends to coding: this is not a place for teaching how to write scripts. Issues and questions related to working with AC's API, however, are of course fine"). I'm just seeking a different perspective before starting my project.

Specifically, I'd like to implement a mechanic where players can hide from a monster and have the monster chase/hunt them. Do you have any general tips on what to focus on for creating these mechanics with Adventure Creator tools? Or is it something that should be added with custom scripts?

I hope I'm not asking for too much. If I am, I genuinely apologize.

Comments

• edited October 2023

Adventure Creator is essentially for what is in it's name for Adventures, so you'd have to implement (depending on your Game) Enemy AI, Survival Stuff, Life etc. yourself.

That said, it's not trivial but not impossible either, there is even a Combat Example on the Downloads Page if you haven't seen it it yet: https://adventurecreator.org/downloads

I've tried it out for fun, and there's lots that you can learn from it and even copy some stuff over that would work in 2D just aswell (life, chasing, inventory).

When it comes to a hiding Feature there's always tons of ways to achieve something, but a simple solution could be to just put in a flag, that checks if the Player can be cought by the Enemy. I think that would be part of the way the Enemys detects the Player.

For example: when clicking on a hide-spot, set "isPlayerVisible = false" and you can't be caught by the Enemy. If you exit the hide-spot set it to true again.

• edited October 2023

For something like Clock Tower you could just use triggers and Booleans, there would be no need for any "real" AI or combat, so Adventure Creator would be okay in this regard - though you'd have to become very familiar with pretty much every aspect of it.

• Welcome to the community, @Yaong.

As AC is intended for more traditional, non-combatative adventure games, it really comes down to how involved/dynamic you want such sequences to be.

If an enemy is only encountered at very controlled/specific parts of the game, it'll be much easier to dictate the logic of how the Player evades them. As a crude example, if you know the enemy will be to the right of the Player, then the Player can only escape by going left.

Something more like Clock Tower, which is a bit more complex, could feasibly be achieved through "smoke and mirrors" with smart use of Triggers and Variables, rather than a proper AI system.

The Character: NPC follow Action can be used to have an NPC follow the Player - so this is a quick way to get an enemy to chase them. This is also the same technique used by the "Combat Example" over on the Downloads page. This example relies on a fair bit of custom scripting on top of AC, but with recent additions to AC's feature-set I think it could be reduced a bit - I'll be looking into this in the coming weeks.

@Alex877 - am I right in thinking that you're working on a similar concept? If you have any insight to share, I'm sure it'd be welcome.