Forum rules - please read before posting.

Request: Support for alternative text strings in dialogues

Hi

I think this was raised elsewhere but can't find it now. I'd like to see support for something like using || (double pipe) characters in dialogues to indicate text strings that can be used at random.

For example

Currently I have a dialogue where the player says hello to a dog. Each time you click the dog, the player says hello. Get's boring after a while but you need to try different things with the dog. What would be nice is if the player could say "Hi" or "Hello" or "Woof?!". I can do that but it seems that I would need to link that to a variable.

If I could use || then I could enter "Hi||Woof||Hello||Easy boy||What's your name?" and then AC would pick one at random (or go in a sequence). It would make variability more fluid.

Olly

Comments

• Such behaviour wouldn't be compatible with other features of the speech system such as audio. However, it is possible with a custom script.

I've added such a script to the AC wiki - you can find it here:
    https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Random_dialogue

• Thanks.

What about a action node called something like ActionList:Random that allows you just to create a number of connections, and a connection will be chosen at random. That way I could have Random as the start, with three connections, each one goes to a Play Dialogue with a variation of "Hello", "Hi", "Yo!", and each can play the correct audio, before coming back to the main flow of the actionlist.

Would that work? Could that be added?

Olly

• edited June 2023

There is - it's named "Variable: Check random number".