Forum rules - please read before posting.

Weird navigation with next (test) AC version

Hi Chris,

you asked me to open a new discussion regarding the navigation problems I have with the AC test version you sent me. Problem: Character not moving anymore in most scenes. At first glance it looked like the charcater got stuck at hotspots and triggers, but I did some tests in a scene with a quite big nav mesh and found that the strange behavoiur has nothing to do with these. I recorded a video where I clicked at random points to move to in the scene. I have the path gizmo visible to see where the character wants to move and switch on the navmesh later to see that the navmesh covers the whole lower area.

It can be described as follows:

• In the lower area of the scene: When I click in the area between the two stairs, the navigation works as expected. The character crawls where I clicked. When I click in the lower part of the screen. The character walks randomly anywhere. It seems at bit like the character is not able to pass an invisible obstacle. I checked if there is any kind of object (visible and unvisible) blocking the character physically, but there is nothing.
  • In the upper area: Navigation works without any problems as it was before (just like on the lower area between the stairs)

The video can be found here: mac-bs.de/temp/AC_WeirdNavigation.mkv

In AC version 1.76.2 everything works fine. I'm on Unity version 2021.3.16f1.

Best regards
Marcus

Comments

• Thanks for the details.

Do you have any custom scripts/behaviour that affect the character's movement, and does this issue occur with the 3D Demo game's Player, Tin Pot? You can test this by dropping his prefab into the scene file and run the game - he'll override your default prefab assigned in the Settings Manager.

If so, does it also occur if you also set your Settings Manager asset to that of the 3D Demo, i.e. Demo_SettingsManager?

In AC version 1.76.2 everything works fine.

Sorry, but do you mean 1.76.1? v1.76.2 is this test version.

• Yes, I use an asset for ground fitting called "FImpossible Ground Fitter" from the Asset Store to fit my character to the ground when crawling slopes. I removed it for testing and there is no change in behaviour.
    Next I tried Tinpot and the behaviour is exactly the same as with my own character.
    After that I tried with the demo's Settings Manager and the behaviour is still the same.
    And yes, I didin't expect the version to be changed in the test version. I'm on version 1.76.1.

• If it's occuring with the Demo assets, it may be an issue with the scene itself.

Can you PM me a .unitypackage of the scene and its associated model assets?

• MACMAC
    edited January 2023

No, it isn't just one scene. It's almost every scene. Most of the scenes are smaller and the character is just not moving from where he starts. The big scene from the video is just better to analyse the behaviour because of it's size. By the way: Walking to markers always works in every scene. Only "regular" walking in the scenes doesn't work.

I have scenes with Unity Navigation and scenes with Mesh Collider, too. It happens with both types of navigation methods.

Meanwhile I deleted the test project and made another copy. I tested the behaviour of the copied project which was as expected and then imported the package again which resulted in the same weird behaviour.
    Another thing I will test later is to run the whole thing on Windows 10, since I use Linux Mint as my daily operating system. Maybe it has something to do with that,

If that still doesn't work I will look into wrapping up a .unitypackage for you to test.

• Tested on Windows 10 and it's the same. I will look up how to pack a scene into a .unitypackage and send it to you.

• I don't know how I should export a single scene with everything that is needed to run it. The "Include dependencies" checkbox in the "Assets > Export Package..." dialogue has no function. To pick all assets that belong to a scene by hand is not possible. The project is simply too big. Maybe it's possible to add some kind of sandbox scene where I can reproduce the behaviour somehow. If you have another hint on how to export a scene with it's dependencies it would be great.

• MACMAC
    edited January 2023

Oh well, I just found out that I was on version 1.76.0 instead of 1.76.1 as I stated before. I updated to 1.76.1 and the issues arise. So it has nothing to do with the test package, it is the version 1.76.1 that makes the problems. Sorry for confusing you.
    I found the option "Point Click Layer Mask" in the Player Movement component after reading the v1.76.1 blog entry and set it to "NavMesh" which seems to do the trick. Movement seems to be normal now. Is "NavMesh" the right setting to mimic the behaviour of version 1.76.0 or should I activate other layers in addition?