Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Feature request] Calculate lip-synching based on sound file length (overriding Display time factor)

As I'm implementing voice overs now I found something that could make the automatic AC built-in lipsync system much more usable and basically (at least for me) make third-party lipsync systems obsolete. I'm currently using the built-in system (defining phonemes, defining the time that each phoneme is displayed ("Display time factor") and watch my characters speak) for lip-synching, which is completely perfect for lip-synching witchout audio. When using audio/voice overs, the display time of the subtitles displayed are synched to the audio file length (as I configured it this way in the options). The lip-synching is not affected by the audio file length which results in characters stopping moving their mouths halfway through the audio playing. In 90 percent of the cases it works perfectly, but if a charcters says something slower than usual (and sometimes in weird occasions) it can be way off.
I tested (and bought) a lot of third-party lipsync solutions AC supports and am not pleased by any of them, and they mean a lot of additional work for only a minority of speech lines that are currently not working with the built-in system. The problems that I have now are caused by the scaling of the lipsynching (the time each phoneme is displayed) still calculated by using the value defined with "Display time factor" in the speech settings. Everything would work perfectly if the time for each phoneme would be calculated by ["audio file length" divided by "number of phonemes"] to scale the lipsynching to the audio file length instead of using a fixed time factor when playing a speech audio file.
To sum it up: When using audio files, the subtitles display time is affected by the audio file length, the lip-synching isn't. Would it be possible implement lip-syncch scaling based on audio file length?

Regards
Marcus

Comments

• This is for AC's "From Speech Text" Lip sync mode, I take it?

Possibly. It's a fair suggestion, and I will certainly take a look.

• Thanks for considering. At least for me that would be a game changer. If it's not possible: Can a third party lip-sync solution like Papgayo be used for only the few speech lines, where the "From Speech Text" doesn't work, while the rest is still using the built-in solution, or must everything use Papagayo then?

• It's possible to alter the Lip-syncing mode - as well as any Manager field - through script. Though, you'd need to do so before the speech is triggered.

I believe the original request should be do-able, however - I will PM you a package to test shortly.

• Thanks, I installed the package and the lip-synching is perfect! Wow, that looks amazing! I tested it in all scenes where lip-synching was way off and it works great in all occasions. But with the package installed, my character can't pass through hotspots and triggers anymore, which makes the game unplayable. I guess that is just a side effect of installing a test package and it won't happen if you decide to implement the new lip-synching behaviour into AC. But I wanted to mention it nonetheless.

• The package I sent you was an in-development package of AC's next update - not just the speech changes.

Please share details on the issue in a new thread, including the version you were previously using.