Forum rules - please read before posting.

Fade between two tint maps

Hi everybody,
AC 1.75.6 and Unity LTS 2021.3.0f1 in 2d.

I have a situation where, in the same scene, I changed the background and so I need to change the tint map too. But I have a light tint map and a dark tint map and when I use "Scene/Change Settings/Change TintMap" the changement is too sharp. So I need a soft way to make it (ex. a fade).

Is there some workaround?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• TintMaps read the assigned Texture directly - it'll return a fixed colour for a given point.

With some hacking, you could feasibly modify the FollowTintMap script to read the values of two TintMaps and lerp between them - but I'd say URP's 2D lighting supersedes them now.

• Hi Chris, thank you very much. Just a doubt: I can use the 2d lighting instead of tint map and it seems to work well, but if I have to animate for example intensity or color in a exact moment (ex. I change the background with an action and I want to fade the lighting to another intensity and color), have I to create an action to do it? And about the remember of the data? Thank you again.

• 2D Light properties can be animated as normal using Unity's Animator system, and then controlled with AC using the Object: Animate Action.

The state of an Animator can be stored in save-game files by attaching the Remember Animator component.

• Thank you very much.

• I don't need to fade between tint maps for the game I'm currently developing, but I worry a little about it being considered superseded by URP's 2D lighting. So many of us have had good reasons to avoid URP altogether. I know Unity claims it is the future, but there are good reasons to be suspicious of this claim.

What I'm asking is: please don't drop support for tintmaps!