Forum rules - please read before posting.

Game with AC menu in steam

Hi Chris,

I have put a game made with AC to steam. It works normal for most of the players.
In the game, all the menus are AC menu and it works normal when I test too.
But there is some players can't see the cursor.
So I change the cursor rendering from software to Unity UI.
Then, it seems those players can see the cursor now.
However, they say that they can't click any buttons in the main menu.
And I tested the build without any problems.

In the main menu scene, I have a canvas, a video player and an eventsystem (come with the canvas)
I got warning message that the local eventsystem was found in scene, but I ignore it now as either I delete it or not, it seems just the same. (I also tried two versions, with or without eventsystem, for those players to check, and they say it is no different, they still can't click any button, but I can click all the buttons normally in my build)

I used AC actionlist to make canvas invisible first and when video need to play, I make the canvas visible again.
And all these work normal in my build.

The unity version is 2021.1.6f1
AC version is 1.75.4

So can you help me? Can you see any problems to cause the problem that some players can't click buttons in AC menu.
I don't know how to fix as I don't find any problems in my computer.

Thanks for your attention.

Comments

• We'll need to be able to recreate it reliably to properly fix it, but to understand the situation: do your Menus have their "Source" fields set to "Adventure Creator" or "Unity UI Prefab"? And is the Canvas you mention from the UI Cursor prefab, or something else?

If they're all set to "Adventure Creator", it's best to not use the Unity UI cursor since this will always be rendererd underneath them. If Software cursor rendering is not working for some people, try Hardware instead.

Unless you have special need for it, remove the EventSystem - AC will generate its own.

• Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comment.
    The menu sources are AC.
    I remove all the canvas in the scene. And change the cursor rendering to hardware.
    The problem still exist....
    It is found that the player can only see the cursor if I set the cursor rendering to unity. Both software and hardware leads the cursor invisible.
    The player tell me that he can hear the SFX when the cursor over the buttons, but there is no highlight and the buttons can't be pressed.
    However, it is all normal when I test in my computer.

What should I do?
    I only think the only way is changing all the AC source menus to unity prefab.
    Is it always right to use all the menu sources to unity prefabs if I publish the game.

Do you have any comments, thanks for your help very much.

• I recommend using Unity UI in general as it allows for more polish and adapts better to different screen sizes. However, I'd say it's a last resort in this case - since the issue isn't directly with the menus, but getting the cursor to render on top of them.

When testing the cursor modes, it's important to set the cursor texture asset files to the correct "Texture Type". When using Software, set them to Default. When using Hardware, set them to Cursor.

Software mode uses the same rendering technique as AC menus, so it's not clear why one would work and not the other. Hardware mode uses the system cursor - so that too should work provided the Texture Type is correct.

What platform are you working on / publishing to?

• Hi Chris,

It is found that if the game build run in an old computer. (32 bit window)
    It will have the problem. No cursor in game window and buttons can't be highlighted but the sound effect can be played when hidden cursor over buttons. But the graphic has no problems. If the game build run in 64 bit window, all are normal.

So, what should I do? Or it is the hardware problem? I really need some help, do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks.

I already build the game by 32 bit architecture in unity and the problem still exist.
    No matter 32/64 bit architecture in unity build setting lead the same result.

Thanks for your help.

• For AC-based menus and the Software cursor, AC relies on Unity's ImGUI system. If the issue occurs on 32-bit machines, it may well be an issue with Unity itself.

You may have luck with upgrading your Unity to an LTS release, but I'd expect the most reliable workaround would be to switch to Unity UI.

Have you tried Hardware cursor rendering? Unity UI menus + Hardware cursor would be my recommendation.