Forum rules - please read before posting.

Transform Sprite During Cutscene 2D

edited February 2022 in Technical Q&A

Hello, I am working on a 2D game and I have a scene where a secret door opens up after completing a puzzle. I would like to tigger a cutscene upon the puzzle completion that will transform the "door" sprite on the x axis to reveal the opening behind it (think a sliding bookshelf door.) At first I thought I could do this with moveables, but as far as I can tell moveables only work for 3D games. What would be the best way for me to achieve this? Here are pictures of what I am trying to do: https://imgur.com/a/1GS0JNM

Comments

• You can use the action Object > Transform to manipulate any game object across the scene, including sprites.

• Okay thanks! My game object wasn't showing up on the list under the Object transform so that's why I thought it didn't work. Turns out I just needed to apply the moveable component to the sprite. Seems obvious now, thanks for your help!

• Welcome to the community, @stevesmith272.

Just to chime in another option for future reference: it's also possible to rely on Unity's regular animation system. If you attach an Animator to the door, and assign it a pair of animations (closed and open), you can transition between them using the "Object: Animate" Action.

This is a bit more involved to set up, but offers more control over the exact motion, so you could add some e.g. slight shaking to the door as it opens to have it feel heavy.