Forum rules - please read before posting.

Nine Verbs UI unresponsive after scene switch

Hi,

I'm using Unity UI Prefab as source with the Nine Verbs template.

Unity version 2020.3.25f1.1418
AC version 1.74.5

When I move to a different scene, the game still runs but the Nine Verbs verb-line is stuck on the last sentence (i.e. open door) and the verb buttons and inventory items can't be clicked.

But when I interact with a random hotspot on the scene, such as right-clicking a hotspot to trigger the default interaction, the verb UI 'unlocks' again and everything returns to normal.

I can post some screenshots of my settings but I'm not sure which ones would be relevant.

Thanks!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @bw0202.

I'll attempt a recreation. Does the UI require a click to 'unlock', or is hovering over a Hotspot enough?

If you can share screenshots of your full Settings Manager, that'll help me with a more accurate recreation.

• Hi @ChrisIceBox and thanks!

It does require a click to unlock, hovering is not enough. But only left-clicking is also not enough, not on a hotspot or on the UI. The only thing that seems to unlock it is triggering the default interaction by right-clicking on a hotspot.

Here is my settings manager :

https://imgur.com/a69OZ9V
    https://imgur.com/vb2JAcA
    https://imgur.com/E18gXeU
    https://imgur.com/xK0NRlU

• Recreated - thanks for the details.

I will look into it and update you.

• edited January 2022

^^ Thanks! Good to hear, maybe the below update isn't relevant then but I'll just leave it like this, maybe it can help.

Minor update, apparently the UI also unlocks when I just walk around a bit without clicking/hovering hotspots. BUT only on the one scene where the camera follows the player and not at once, it takes about 5 seconds of walking around (left-clicking). The camera doesn't need to scroll for the unlocking to happen.

The UI doesn't unlock in this way on scenes that are single-screen and therefore have no scrolling camera. This is the only difference between those scenes that I can think of.

• Hi @ChrisIceBox ,

In the above message, I mentioned that the UI becomes active in that one scene after a couple of seconds. I found out that this happens because a certain cutscene triggered. Triggering the cutscene unlocked the UI somehow.

I managed to reproduce this by adding a cutscene in the OnStart section for every scene that does nothing except for the default 'Engine -Wait 0s'. This actually solves the issue because it unlocks the UI. So for now this is a workaround that works for me in my particular case, I just have to remember to add a 'blank' cutscene in every OnStart on every scene.

Also, this only works when I choose 'Pause Gameplay'. It doesn't work when I pick 'Run in background'.

I hope this info helps you in finding out what could be the cause of this. Whatever it is, I'd still like to thank you for this amazing piece of software. I enjoy using it and it is very versatile.

• Thanks for the details. It appears that the problem is actually two-fold.

The first issue is related to the "verb line" getting stuck. I have updated the template package with a fix, so if you grab it again it should be resolved.

The second issue is - as you've found - related to the presence (or not) of an OnStart cutscene in the next scene.

A fix for this will have to involve an update to AC itself. If you'd like to attempt this yourself, open up AC's StateHandler script and replace its OnInitialiseScene function (around line 974):

protected void OnInitialiseScene ()
    {
        previousUpdateState = gameState;
        EnforceCutsceneMode = false;
    }

with the following:

protected void OnInitialiseScene ()
    {
        if (previousUpdateState != gameState)
        {
            KickStarter.eventManager.Call_OnChangeGameState (previousUpdateState, gameState);
            previousUpdateState = gameState;
        }
        EnforceCutsceneMode = false;
    }

That ought to fix it, but please let me know if not!

• Thanks a lot for your fast work, @ChrisIceBox.

I reinstalled the package then updated the script, removed my workaround cutscenes and everything works absolutely perfect now! Great stuff!