Forum rules - please read before posting.

Playing Custom Animations on Player

I've been trying to get the player to do certain animations when interacting with things. However, the only way I can do this is by changing parameter values so that it triggers the specific animation from the animator window. This works, but it will become incredibly cumbersome once many animations are employed. I notice there is a Custom Clip option in the actions list. But I can't get this to work properly when I input a clip name. What am I doing wrong here and is there another more efficient way of applying custom animations?

Comments

• Changing parameter values to control animation playback is considered "Unity best practice", and one paramater can be used to control more than one animation.

A "State" integar, for example, can trigger Animation A when set to 1, Animation B when set to 2, etc.

"Play Custom" is indeed a way of playing animations by name, however.  You must be sure to use the state's name as it appears in the Animator window - not the name of the animation clip itself, which may vary.  If you can share some images of your Animator controller and the Action you're trying to use to control it, it may shed some light on what's wrong.
  • Sorry to resurrect the old thread, but I've decided it's better to ask my question here instead of crating the new one.
    I'm also having troubles playing custom anim on player. The animation plays correctly but for some reason the character plays it on spot instead of using root motion to translate the character. The character has root motion enabled in animation controller and utilizes it in regular gameplay animations

Here's a snap of the actionlist
    script

• Hm switching Motion Control in character settings to Automatic and freezing rotations in rigidbody fixed the issue