Forum rules - please read before posting.

Getting stuck on conversation options after loading game

So this happens in a bunch of different scenes, but mostly it's when players quit in the middle of a cutscene or a conversation. Upon loading, players often get stuck in a previously functioning conversation loop where selecting any option just brings up the same conversation again. Before I provide details on my exact setup, I wanted to know if there's any previous record of people experiencing this issue using AC's conversation system, and recommended best practices for it?

Here's a video showing the issue:

Comments

• No - please provide full details, including your AC version number.

I'm unsure what you mean about how this occurs - is it after loading a save, or upon ending a cutscene/conversation?

Do your Conversations have "Remember Conversation" components attached?

• Yes, they do have Remember conversation attached.
    AC version is 1.66.1
    This occurs if you quit the game (and my game is set to autosave on quitting) during an actionlist which includes this conversation. Also, I think this happens when a conversation's dialogue option action list contains another conversation in it, and this second conversation has the "override options" checked. So:

Conversation 1: Override options is unchecked, so each option leads to an action list to run a dialogue option.
    In one of these dialogue option's action list, there is another conversation action (conversation 2) inside, and this one uses "override options" to directly run further actions through nodes instead of leading to dialogue option action lists like the ones for Conversation 1.

• I've had the same problem in Lorelai. Ended up NOT autosaving after conversations ;) (I know, this isn't really a solution... just saying you're not the only one with this issue)

• @armaan Since you're using multiple ActionLists, in order to accurately reproduce this error I'll need to use the exact same set up. Please prepare a test project that I can use to recreate it. You can do this by duplicating the project, making a simple test scene (i.e. a single Hotspot to initiate a Conversation that demos this), and remove all other scenes / unnecessary graphics, audio, animation etc- but keeping your UI, Managers and ActionLists.

• @Rem Hi Rem! :) That's good to know. Yeah, I guess there are workarounds and I've started removing autosaves from the game now (and disabling the nests of "override options" inside dialogue option action lists is another good solution) Good luck for Lorelai, loved the trailer!

• @ChrisIceBox Alright then, I'll wait to see if I run across any similar issues again and then send that scene to you (I worked around the issue shown above by avoiding nesting "override options" conversations within a dialogue option action lists for now)

• Hi all -Thread Necromancy Time-

Did anything come from your investigations into this? @armaan @Rem @ChrisIceBox ?

I've got this from a player CTRL+ALT+DELing during an overide options conversation nested within the onstart cutscene, which has autosave on finish checked. My feeling is that when the conversation initiates it's no longer in the cutscene state, and the save happens then. Why that means the conversation doesn't work I don't know, but this seems like a really similar bug.

My one is an edge case, but for now, I'll uncheck autosave when finished and see whether that's safer.

Cheers!

• I don't recall being able to recreate the issue. What is your AC version?

As an alternative to the Autosave after? ActionList property, try ending your ActionList with a Save: Save or load Action, with the Method set to Overwrite Existing Save, and Save to overwrite to Autosave.