Forum rules - please read before posting.

Actionlist won't work unless I press "run now"

Hi,

I have an actionlist that animates the Unity menu into a different position (landscape or portrait variable) and I cannot for the life of me get it to work.

I have it set to run when the menu is turn on, however nothing happens. When the menu is turned on and I go to the action list and click "run now" manually however, then it works

My actionlist is really simple, its literally just this

https://imgur.com/a/48u568L

Wondering what Im doing wrong

Thanks!

Comments

• What is your AC version?

It may be running, only with no effect.

Add an ActionList: Comment Action with some dummy text, and move it to the front - does it appear in the Console when running?

If so, it may be an issue with updating an Animator that's being enabled at the same time. Try replacing the new Action with an Engine: Wait Action of -1.

• Hi Chris,
    Thanks so much for that, it worked!!

I have just one more problem, in portrait mode I make the game split screen (so game on the top, ui on the bottom), the issue is I fade out everything and then let it do the animation so it isn't a jarring cut, but when I fade back in, 9 times out of 10 the camera on top doesn't fade in with it.

This only happens with the split screen, when I'm in landscape/normal camera view it works fine.

https://imgur.com/a/LrSY6lm
    I uploaded screenshots and explanations here

Other than that its perfect, thanks so much again Chris I've been trying for MONTHS to get it to work and that simple thing was the solution!!

• I still need your AC version.

You're saying that the bottom camera always fades in correctly?

• edited May 2021

Sorry, it's v1.70.1
    And yes the bottom UI camera fades in correctly, its the main camera on top that stays black

• I'll look into it. Is your game paused at the time? A bug related to this was fixed in v1.71.5.

• Thanks Chris
    And nah it just fades out and in
  • I can't recreate such an issue - the fade texture should be applied full-screen, regardless of the camera split.

Try assigning AC's "Green" texture to the fade-out - that's partly transparent, so it'll be clear where things are applied. What does the issue look like then? Is the green still applied over the top camera? Screenshots will help illustrate the issue.

In a backup/duplicate project, please also give the latest release a try.

• edited May 2021

Hi Chris,

So it just ends up being a solid green screen. Also, if I change resolution of the game window and back again, then the camera 'unfreezes'. It's the same when I play it on android too.

I also removed the fade out/in, and the camera itself actually seems to be freezing unless I do what I said above that unfreezes it. If I remove the split screen action the camera doesnt freeze.

Would it be possible I could get v1.71.5 in PMs? (or whatever the latest release was before the player switching overhaul, I cant find an option for a custom release in the asset store). Just I made so many changes its impossible for me to upgrade to the latest release as the player overhaul breaks it (and believe me i've tried lol). If needed I can DM you a photo of purchase receipt. :)

• The player-switching system was overhauled in v1.71.0 - the bug was addressed since.

Putting the player-switching issues aside for the moment, what is the state of the original camera issue in the latest release?

• Hi Chris,
    Yes, it appears in the latest release the split screen actionlist works without freezing

• What's the issue with the Player-switching, in that case? Are you saying you've made changes to AC's source code in this area?

• Im the person with the slow performance on the latest version, I sent you my projects a month or so back :p If the split screen problem can only be fixed with the latest version I'll find another way around it, no worries :)

• An alternative approach would be to have a full-screen Menu that consists of a black-texture background, and give it a fade transition.

• Hi Chris,
    Thanks for that :) But the problem is the split screen action itself. If I remove all the fades, then I can see the camera just freezes when the split screen action is performed, only working if I change the resolution in the editor and back again to 'unfreeze' it. if I delete the split screen action entirely then it doesn't freeze

• "Changing the resolution" as in resizing the Game window?

In your v1.70.1 project, create a new C# file named CameraTest and paste in the following:

using UnityEngine;

public class CameraTest : MonoBehaviour
    {

[ContextMenu("Recalc camera vars")]
        public void Recalculate ()
        {
            AC.KickStarter.playerMenus.RecalculateAll ();   
        }

}

Attach to a GameObject in your scene, and keep its Inspector open when the issue occurs. Instead of resizing the Game window to fix the issue, go to the Inspector's cog menu and choose "Recalc camera vars" - does that fix it?

• edited May 2021

It's the resolution button above the game window,

But yes, that script works! I've added it into a custom script to make sure it runs when the split screen happens and its working like a charm now. Thanks so much!! :D