Forum rules - please read before posting.

Issues after Unity update

edited April 2021 in Technical Q&A

Hi all.
Our team faced a critical issue. After updating Unity to version 2019.4.24 or 2021.1.2, some of interactions in scenes are reset to their initial state. Only Engine.Wait remains there. It was not possible to calculate any patterns. After the Unity update, custom managers were returned.
Can anyone have any ideas what the matter is?

The game was originally created on Unity 2017.4.40.
AC v1.72.4
UnityEditor serialization: mixed
There are custom actions and C # code, but they are not associated with the editor and only work in runtime.

Comments

• do you use version control?

I experience that reset on actionlists from time to time probably due to unity serializing.

if you are using git, you can copy the old data

this happen less on actionlist assets (and much easier to simply copy the old file into the new) so you can use run actionlist asset on your scene to run a separate actionlist file for the future

• "do you use version control?"
    Yes, GIT.
    "if you are using git, you can copy the old data"
    Thanks. I'll try.

• edited April 2021

In my experience, this can occur if you open Unity with a script error that prevents compilation error, and then save the scene. It's a frustrating issue that I've been trying to find a workaround for some time - though Unity's new "Safe Mode" does help mitigate this.

Is this the same situation, or were multiple scenes affected without any compilation issues?

With version control, however, you should be able to safely restore the state of the scene.

• "Is this the same situation, or were multiple scenes affected without any compilation issues"?
    Multiple scenes (3). There is no compilation issues.
    Interesting, that allways reset the same interactions in scene. But in Unity 2019 and 2021 they are different.

• So it's only Hotspot Interaction ActionLists that are being affected? Not other scene-based ActionLists e.g. Cutscenes, Triggers?

Are you making use of any custom Actions, and have you been able to revert things using git?

• "So it's only Hotspot Interaction ActionLists that are being affected? Not other scene-based ActionLists e.g. Cutscenes, Triggers"?
    Yes. And not all interactions in scene. About 10% of them.
    Are you making use of any custom Actions"
    Yes. But interactions with them don't reset.
    "have you been able to revert things using git?"
    Yes. That did help. Thanks.

• edited April 2021

Strange behaviour. It's hard to say where the cause of this might lie. If you're OK to share with me a pre-update project via PM - with details on which Interactions to look out for - I'd be keen to try the process myself.

• Unfortunately, I cannot send you a project due to the policy of our team. But thanks a lot for your help.