Forum rules - please read before posting.

Question about navigate menus directly with controller

2»

Comments

• Hi Chris, for the inventory I think I solved changing the set in InventoryBoc "When slot is empty" to Disable Object.

Sorry for the noob question but I haven't used it before: how does Event system prefab works?

• Another question about the navigation in Inventory where I found the follow issue:

I have the same issue with X-button and A-button (the two buttons I mapped for InteractionA and InteractionB). Pratically, when the inventory is open if I press X o A I obtain the same result: they open the Pause menu and don't select the inventory objects.

If I have correctly understand, when I open the inventory in navigate directly mode, to select an object I have to use the button mapped in submit input (here my submit inputs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1msAVIjgGQmCQ7IVv7vnieb3hfPDP2KI8/view?usp=sharing). Is it correct?

I noticed this behaviour actually: as suggestion, to force the direct navigation on AC inventory menu, I put a Engine/manage system/direct-nav in-game menus on the action list "ActionList when turn on" of the inventory menu.
    In this way I can open the inventory and scroll left/right, but I can't select the objects, because when I press the X button (InteractionA or submit input) or A button (InteractionB input) it opens the Pause Menu (in the input it's mapped as joystick button 7, a different button from InteractA or B or submit). The strange thing is, when I close the inventory, if I don't put an Engine/manage system/direct-nav in-game menus disable on ActionList when turn off, every time I press X or A button, it opens the pause menu (actually the "Appear type" of the Pause menu is set to Manual).
    Another thing: when the inventory is open, I can't move my character using the cursor (the cursor moves correctly) because it seems that the inventory blocks the InteractionA or InteractionB button, so every time it opens the Pause Menu instead to select the menu or move the character.

I don't know if with this info it's more clear where the issue could be.

Thank you again for the help.

• edited September 2020

I made another test: I tried with a Unity UI menu, because I thought the problem was linked to the action Engine/manage system/direct-nav in-game menus enabled.
    But the issue is always here: also with Unity UI when the inventory is open and press X or A button (interactionA or interactionB) it opens the Pause menu and I can't move the character. When I close the inventory all works correctly.

• The inputs look correct.

As the Pause menu reacts to X/A regardless of the "direct-control" setting, it sounds like the two are unrelated.

We can learn why Pause is turning on by inserting the following into the top of Menu script's TurnOn function:

if (!IsOn () && title == "Pause") Debug.LogWarning ("Pause menu is turning on");

That will display a Console warning when Pause turns on. Find the instance of it that shows when Pause is turned on unintentially, and paste the whole contents (stacktrace included) here.

As for player-movement, where is the cursor at this moment? If Unity UI blocks interaction and movement? is checked, then the cursor will be blocked by any Unity UI it happens to be over. It may be a case of unchecking this, or adjusting your UI RectTransforms so that they only cover the visible portion of your menus.

• Hello Chris,
    Unity UI blocks interaction and movement? is unchecked. I tried with checked/unchecked but nothing changes. I'll try with the code you give me to give you more info. Thank you again.

• Hello Chris
    maybe we found the issue: we have two menus always during the game (except cutscene, conversation ,etc) and these menus were set "Appear type" to Manual. Changing to During Gameplay seems to solved the issue and now when I press the X button on joystick I can select the object in inventory.

But there are some other things I'd like to correct to make it user friendly as in the not directly navigation menu mode:

• when I select the object, the name remains on the object in inventory, while in the "normal mode" (not directly navigation menu) the name disappears.
    • when I select the object I can't interact (Use) it on the hotspots in scene. To do it I have to close the Inventory menu, while, without Direct Navigate mode, I can select the object and, with the inventory still open, I can use it.
    • With the object selected I can't move the character if the inventory is still open. When I close it I can move the character with the object selected.

Thank you very much.

• when I select the object, the name remains on the object in inventory, while in the "normal mode" (not directly navigation menu) the name disappears.

Which do you want it to be? The names are appearing via the Hotspot menu, which you can lock if you don't want it to show.

when I select the object I can't interact (Use) it on the hotspots in scene. To do it I have to close the Inventory menu, while, without Direct Navigate mode, I can select the object and, with the inventory still open, I can use it.

How exactly do you want it to work? Close the menu and use the cursor to select a Hotspot? Or is this "direct navigation" not just limited to menus, but interactions as well? If you don't want the cursor to be used at all, you'll need to use a non-cursor "Hotspot detection method", such as "Player Vicinity".

With the object selected I can't move the character if the inventory is still open. When I close it I can move the character with the object selected.

What is your game's "Movement method", and what does the AC Status box display, in full, at this time? You can enable it at the bottom of the Settings Manager.

Please consider creating new threads for these - we're getting away from the original topic, and likely more details/screenshots will need to be shared in order to properly convey these problems.

• Hello, I resume this thread because I'm working on the directly navigate menu now and I found some little issue I can't solve.

1. I have a title menu and, inside it, a button options. When I press the options I open a new menu (OptionsNew). I open it with a ActionList where I Turn Off the Title Menu, Turn On the OptionsNewMenu and "force" the select element Back button, Here the screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OE7cBYISWhlpZ5-UA1ah4YidpWp852YA/view?usp=sharing
      But I have this issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k73GyC2mQqv2LSan3MMzXhYpU045Pegx/view?usp=sharing
      Pratically I find the Back button selected (as I wish) but also the Subtitles selected. I think it recognizes the position of the controller cursor when it closes the first menu and opens the OptionsNew menu. I tried to move the cursor before open the option menu (pressing the button) and all is ok.
      Another strange behaviour (if I don't move the controller cursor): If I press the option button the first time I find back and subtitles selected, but if I press on back and the re-open the menu (always pressing option button) this time it selects correctly only the back button.

2. I have a little issue with toggle input (ex. Subtitles and Texture background in OptionsNew menu above). I can navigate without problem, but if I press on one of the two options, it changes the state (on/off) but it looses the button selection (so I can't see any selected button). Here a little video (in the first part you can see the subtitles option and back button selected at the same time (the first time I enter in Option menu), while, when I come back to the title menu and the re-enter (the second time), it's correct; in the second part you can see when I navigate on subtitles option and press the X-Button on the controller and it looses the selection on the menu and I have to close the game): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gtWl5abyojFYuwspLrjskvFeVPyl0EKP/view?usp=sharing

3. a strange issue with load and save menu (Unity UI): I used Explicit mode to see the connections between buttons and it's all ok. But, cause a problem with the navigation in empty slots (as described) I changed the navigation on Vertical+Explicit (Mixed mode) or automatic. But when I make this change it changes also the connections and back button connects (in up) with slot nr. 8 and not, as previous, with slot nr. 10 and I can find the problem when I navigate in game.
      Here the menu in Explicit mode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TEgKT1jDVYsUT4FSfDAlX8wVBsmrBzxx/view?usp=sharing
      and when I change it in mixed or automatic mode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/108Ej3CsNvBvRMTiKe-qAnLc-btYCbRQb/view?usp=sharing

• What AC version are you now working with?

1. Try unchecking Unfreeze 'Pause' menus? in your ActionList. You shouldn't have to force the selection of the Options element - have you configured the OptionsNew menu to auto-select Back? Are you supplying a custom Event System prefab, or letting AC use its default?

2. How are your Toggle elements configured in the Menu Manager? Do they run ActionLists? Try the same checbox as in 1) if so. I can't recreate such an issue with the Options UI menu in the Default_MenuManager.

3. The second screenshot looks set to Mixed rather than Automatic, but setting it to Automatic should be the right solution. You're dealing with Unity UI directly here, though - this isn't AC related. Try a similar UI, in a fresh scene, that's not linked to AC, and get the right select behaviour you're looking for - and have it also react to disabling various slot objects correctly. When things work correctly, you can look into plugging it back into AC.

• What AC version are you now working with?

Try unchecking Unfreeze 'Pause' menus? in your ActionList. You shouldn't have to force the selection of the Options element - have you configured the OptionsNew menu to auto-select Back? Are you supplying a custom Event System prefab, or letting AC use its default?

"Unfreeze Pause Menu" is already unchecked (the action list is set to Pause Gameplay). BackButton is already set as First selected Element, but, if I don't force the selection via Action, it doesn't work. I haven't Event System prefab, only the AC default. I have the same issue with the Title menu, where I set the First selected Element, but I need to force it with action (as you suggested in a previous answer).

How are your Toggle elements configured in the Menu Manager? Do they run ActionLists? Try the same checbox as in 1) if so. I can't recreate such an issue with the Options UI menu in the Default_MenuManager.

Here the two Toggle options:
    Subtitles: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qHag-yOcGFSoPdj8dyDpe6rkHkPQvUfr/view?usp=sharing (this is a standard toggle)
    Subtitles background: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dEorm-1LcrQ4CBwRbK2nffOLX5cLg-IG/view?usp=sharing

The second screenshot looks set to Mixed rather than Automatic, but setting it to Automatic should be the right solution. You're dealing with Unity UI directly here, though - this isn't AC related. Try a similar UI, in a fresh scene, that's not linked to AC, and get the right select behaviour you're looking for - and have it also react to disabling various slot objects correctly. When things work correctly, you can look into plugging it back into AC.

I'll try asap.

• Try setting the Toggle ActionLists to Run In Background.

• Try setting the Toggle ActionLists to Run In Background.

Great, the toggle issue is solved, thank you very much.

• The second screenshot looks set to Mixed rather than Automatic, but setting it to Automatic should be the right solution. You're dealing with Unity UI directly here, though - this isn't AC related. Try a similar UI, in a fresh scene, that's not linked to AC, and get the right select behaviour you're looking for - and have it also react to disabling various slot objects correctly. When things work correctly, you can look into plugging it back into AC.

I solved: it seems a issue linked to the position Y or Height of the button. I gave negative value and now it seems to work correctly. I had the same issue also with a new menu created from zero.

• So now I there's only the point 1 to solve:

I have a title menu and, inside it, a button options. When I press the options I open a new menu (OptionsNew). I open it with a ActionList where I Turn Off the Title Menu, Turn On the OptionsNewMenu and "force" the select element Back button, Here the screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OE7cBYISWhlpZ5-UA1ah4YidpWp852YA/view?usp=sharing
    But I have this issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k73GyC2mQqv2LSan3MMzXhYpU045Pegx/view?usp=sharing
    Pratically I find the Back button selected (as I wish) but also the Subtitles selected. I think it recognizes the position of the controller cursor when it closes the first menu and opens the OptionsNew menu. I tried to move the cursor before open the option menu (pressing the button) and all is ok.
    Another strange behaviour (if I don't move the controller cursor): If I press the option button the first time I find back and subtitles selected, but if I press on back and the re-open the menu (always pressing option button) this time it selects correctly only the back button.

Could it be linked to the version of AC?

• Could it be linked to the version of AC?

May well be - issues related to direct-navigation of menus have been addressed since.

Though, a fix for another related issue will be included in v1.72.2. If you're looking to update, I recommend doing so once it's out.

• Just a little issue:

Try setting the Toggle ActionLists to Run In Background.

This works correctly where I have Toggle with cutom action list attached. But I noticed that SubtitlesToggle use Toggle type = Subtitles, so it doesn't call an Action List and I don't know how to set it in Run in Background. How can I solve? Is there an action (subtitles) that I can put in an action list or do I have to create a custom one?

• The Save: Set Option Action can be used to set the subtitle state manually.

• Perfect, thank you very much