Forum rules - please read before posting.

Porting already started 2D game to 2.5D. Is it possible?

Hi,

I'm using Unity 2018.1.of2 with AC 1.71.4

I've been buliding a game in AC 2D for a while now. I have a small number of scenes, menus, characters, variables, hotspots and lots of action lists all set up - basically I've built a prologue to the game. I've found a really good artist who is up for the challenge of taking over my shonky ass drawings and making something more fancy. (Yoohoo!)

He has just got to work and has just suggested that we build everything in 3d (using Blender) with flat characters, which I believe means he thinks we should make a 2.5D game. I'm wondering how easy it is to switch from one to the other, or if I would have to basically build the whole thing again from the bottom up.

For example, how easy is it to import action lists from one game to another? And would that even work in this context?
I think Nav Meshes and everything like that (hotspots too?) work differently in 2.5D, right?
Also, I'm wondering if it will put more strain on my CPU. I'm using an Asus laptop at the mo, so it's not THAT mighty...

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks!

Comments

• An additional question - is there a big difference in the working hours one has to put in to develop a 2.5D vs 2D game. Apart from the artist I'm doing everything else on my own at the moment. Thanks.

• Update - I used my brain independently for 5 seconds. I think I'm actually talking about porting to a 3D game. see here: https://imgur.com/a/0cjYP1D

Same questions as above apply, with the additional question:
    Would using flat characters (i.e. basically sprites) work in this context?
    Thanks

• AC will let you have flat sprite characters in a 3D game, yes. This is exactly what I am doing with my project:

• It would be a challenge, but not unsurmountable. The workflow is different - in 2.5D and 3D, characters move in 3D space.

However, your ActionLists and game logic will transfer relatively easily - provided you update your Markers, Hotspots etc and not delete/replace them (so as not to remove references to them in your Actions)

To convert a 2D Hotspot into a 3D one, for example, you just need to replace its 2D collider with a 3D one - by default, this is the Box Collider component. You'd still need to reposition / resize it, but this way you'd still be able to retain all the Interactions etc that associate with it.

• OK. Great, thanks Temmy for the snapshot.
    Thanks Chris - that makes sense.

Good to know. I'll have a bit more of a think about it.
    I want to keep the flat, front on style of classic PnCs.
    It seems the pros of using this approach would be nice effects when the camera pans /tracks. But I'm not sure if it's worth the rejigging and the relearning. Let's see...!

• If it's more a case of adding 3D effects to an otherwise 2D game, then it should just be a case of switching to a 3D camera.

When using a GameCamera 2D, the camera will scroll with "Ken Burns" effect (i.e. no perspective change), even if its Perspective is set to Projection. This is to ensure that an object's distance from the camera doesn't change its appearance as the camera moves.

If you drop in a regular GameCamera though (from the /AdventureCreator/Prefabs/Cameras folder), that will behave more normally - so scrolling left/right will alter the perspective. If you're careful about object depth for your 2D objects, that may be enough to add some 3D effects.

• Ha-hmm. Thanks, that's very helpful. It would certainly be less work!

I believe the artist wants to build the rooms in Blender so I'll end up with 3d 'objects'. He could then flatten them, but I think I'll give switching to 3d a try and see how it works out.

I have various objects that move in and out of different rooms and some interesting connections between rooms that I think will look super cool if I can get a full 3d thing working to transistion between spaces. I think it will also allow for more interesting close ups for the cutscenes...

Let's see. I just have a prologue at the mo. so now is the time to try a few things out.