Forum rules - please read before posting.

[param:2] - [var:3]. Is this possible in an ActionList?

I want a global variable to be subtracted from a Componant Variable parameter through a formula. This isn't working so I assume I have to pass the parameter to a global variable, do the subtraction, then pass it back to the parameter.

Is that the most convenient way?

Comments

• Currently. The Variable: Set Action does allow use of tokens inside formula calculations, but passing [param:2] would refer to the component variable's ID - not the value.

I should like it to be possible to pass the value itself as a token - I'll see if this is something that can be implemented.

• edited April 2020

For my purposes I'd need the value to still be reading through the parameter and not the Component Variable itself, since I will change which GameObject's Component Variable will be passed into the Parameter depending on the situation.

• The token won't change, but I'll look into an alternative, i.e. [paramval:2] that will return the linked-variable's value.

• More on this.
    An example in an Asset List;

When using Action List: Set Parameter and setting [param:2] to [param:3], I notice that the node states New Value is: Copied From Parameter.

Does this mean that later on that a node with a formula [paramval:3] - 5 will only subtract from this parameter copy of the initial component variable or will it subtract all the way back from the original component variable?

• If I'm reading you right, copying a parameter won't link the two together - it'll take the same value at that moment, but further changes to the copy won't affect the original.

• Could it be possible to pass whichever variable is linked in a parameter to another parameter?

or in this situation is it better to copy the parameter value to a new variable, then after changes copy it back to that same parameter and so to the linked original variable?

• I don't know what your situation actually is.

Can you elaborate on the specifics? I'm not sure what it is you're ultimately trying to do.

• Yes I wasn't very clear.

I can currently set parameter y to hold variable x.

Is in it possible to pass variable x from parameter y to parameter z so that parameter z then holds variable x and any changes made to parameter z affect the original variable x?

• I'll need even more clarity, I'm afraid.

What's the parameter's actual type? Are you storing a reference to the variable (i.e. the parameter type is "Global Variable"), or storing the variable's value (i.e. parameter type is "Float")?

If the former, then yes - this should be possible. Sharing some screenshots of the ActionLists's Actions and properties would likely be best.