Forum rules - please read before posting.

KickStarter.player.portraitIcon.Reset (); gives error in both v1.71.0 and 1.71.1

edited May 2020 in Technical Q&A

Hi, I just found this script KickStarter.player.portraitIcon.Reset (); gives the following error message in both v1.71.0 & 1.71.1. Is the API changed or would that be a bug? I am using the script in a MonoBehaviour script that is attached to the Inventory Menu UI.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
InventoryScript.OnEnable () (at Assets/Ricky/Scripts/UI/Inventory/InventoryScript.cs:98)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Canvas)
AC.Menu:LocateLocalCanvas() (at Assets/Plugins/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/Menu.cs:3022)
AC.Menu:LoadUnityUI() (at Assets/Plugins/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/Menu classes/Menu.cs:372)
AC.PlayerMenus:RebuildMenus(MenuManager) (at Assets/Plugins/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:149)
AC.PlayerMenus:OnInitPersistentEngine() (at Assets/Plugins/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:87)
AC.StateHandler:Initialise(Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:99)
AC.KickStarter:SetPersistentEngine() (at Assets/Plugins/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/KickStarter.cs:157)
AC.KickStarter:Initialise() (at Assets/Plugins/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/KickStarter.cs:1096)
AC.MultiSceneChecker:Awake() (at Assets/Plugins/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/MultiSceneChecker.cs:44)

Comments

• Menus are spawned in before the Player, so it's "KickStarter.player" that is null if you're calling this in OnEnable.

Try moving this call to the Start function, or wrapping a null-check around it, i.e.:

if (KickStarter.player != null)
    {
        KickStarter.player.portraitIcon.Reset ();
    }

• Thanks! It's fixed!