Forum rules - please read before posting.

Starting a Cutscene when a variable = value

edited August 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi everyone.

I'm creating a 2d adventure game with the following elements:
- A virtual time. This is not automatic, but time passes in tokens/days only if player does some actions. 
Ex. making a research uses a day. Training at the box uses one day. Etc.
Specific actions make a day pass.

So I have an integer value from 0 to 10.

I want that a specific cutscene starts in a specific day (ex. day 2).

So I need this:
- if day == x
-> then play cutscene.

How can I do that?

I think the solution could be easy, but I'm not getting it.

If I need to code it down, please could you give me some specifics / suggestion as pseudocode?

Comments

• In the Scene Manager, you can assign a Cutscene to run "On variable change".  Click Auto-create beside the field, if there isn't one assigned.

This'll run every time a Variable changes, so you want to make sure it doesn't block any other gameplay when running - so from the Cutscene's Inspector, change it's When running field to Run In Background.  A single Variable: Check Action can then be used to determine if the "day" integer is 2, and run the appropriate Cutscene if so.
  • Thank you very much for the quick answer. I've tested it and it works.

I just created a "master cutscene" that checks always the variable and starts each single cutscene for each day.

Master cutscene:
    - Check if day == 2 
    If condition is met -> do eventday2
    If condition is not met -> continue to next check

- Check if day == 4
    If condition is met -> do eventday4
    If condition is not met -> continue to next check

And so on.

Thank you again for your time!
  • Just a comment for anyone who will read this comment in the future.

The solution gave me an issue: the cutscene continued to start again and again every time I changed a variable in day 2.

To avoid repetition I created a boolean SceneAlreadyShot for each scene and added a variable check on the MasterCutscene cutscene.

So

On Variable Change -> masterCutscene

masterCutscene:
    1 - if SceneDay2AlreadyShot -> skip to 3
    2- if day == day2 -> run cutscene 2
    3 - etc.

In cutscene2 I change the SceneDay2AlreadyShot from false to true.
  • Hello. I am interested in launch a cutscene when three of my global variables are true. But I don´t find the option in scene manager for asign a cutscene run "on variable change".

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks!

• edited May 2020

In each of the ActionLists which change each of the global variables to True, run another Action at the end to check if the other 2 variables are also True. If they are True, then run a final Action of ActionList: Run and choose the Cutscene to run.

• It worked! Thank you!