Forum rules - please read before posting.

Sound Too Quiet

When I start up my game, I tell it to play a OneShot. When it plays the first time, after starting up the game, the sound plays at normal volume. Then when I do the action to play it again, it becomes rather quiet. This goes for every oneshot sound. Is there a way to fix this issue?

Comments

• Is it a 3D or 2D sound, and is the camera in a different position each time?  If you don't supply a Position transform in the Action, then it will be played at the scene's origin - which may affect volume if you're dealing with 3D sounds.

The relative volume of a one-shot sound is determined by your SFX volume.  What's it currently set to?  You can set them outside of gameplay by going to the bottom of the Settings Manager.
  • Okay, I think I figured it out. I had two audio listeners in the scene. Removing the extra and setting a position for the sound seems to work. Is there any way to get a sound to play in general, regardless of 3D position? Since I'm playing directly from sound files, I don't think I can set it to be 3D or 2D.
  • Assign a Default Sound prefab in your Scene Manager - that will be used to play audio whenever the Sound: Play Action (note: not the Sound: Play one-shot Action) is used without specifying a Sound object to play it from.  You can then configure your Default Sound to be 2D.
  • Is there a way to place this in every scene automatically or would I have to go and place it in there individually? Because even if I place a remember script on it, the node editor won't see it. Just wondering here.
  • It would have to be placed in every scene, but just has to be present - you don't need to assign it in any Action.  Again, if the Sound: Play Action has no Sound object assigned to it, it'll rely on the scene's default one automatically.
  • Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I noticed that when playing one shot sounds and at the same time using a Camera Shake action, the sound warbles. This lead me to this thread and how to work around it. It would be nice to have an option to force one-shot sounds to play in 2D, if that is feasible to implement at one point.

• The Sound: Play one-shot Action works by calling Unity's PlayClipAtPoint method, which doesn't allow you to specifiy between 2D and 3D sounds.

However, my above suggestion of using the scene's "Default Sound" object instead should be a valid workaround for this scenario as well.

• This is fantastic - it always bugged me how Sound: play one-shot played sounds wrong - either too quiet or just from left or right side (randomly?). I wish I knew Sound: Play does the same thing but correctly. Love it! ;)