Forum rules - please read before posting.

Papagayo Phonemes

Greetings!
I have already read the manual concerning "Adding lip syncing to 2D character sprites" and the other threads here related to this topic but I still have trouble understanding this. :(

I have created *.dat files for each of my dialogue lines in Papagayo and converted them to *.txt files.
The mouth shapes that Papagayo uses are those ones:

I've created the frames for my own characters accordingly so I also have those 10 frames for each mouth.

So a script that Papagayo creates looks like this for example:
MohoSwitch1
1 etc
4 U
7 AI
10 etc
13 MBP
16 AI
19 etc
22 AI
25 etc
31 AI
34 MBP
37 etc
40 AI
43 etc
46 O

What I don't understand is:
How does the Adventure Creator phoneme editor understand those/how does AC read that script?
The default phonemes are those:

From what I've gathered reading the other threads AC doesn't understand AI, it would have to be "A/I/AI" I reckon?
But does that mean I need to change the script that Papagayo created or only the phonemes in the editor?

TL/DR:
How exactly does AC understand what "etc" "rest" frames in a file created by Papagayo mean? :)

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @AlphaIkaros.

How does the Adventure Creator phoneme editor understand those/how does AC read that script?

AC will process the text file line-by-line, using the number as a time reference, and the text as a phoneme reference. For example, "MPB" will map to "Frame 0", as it's defined in your Phonemes Window as such.

To match your own characters, you'd need to use the Phonemes Window to define 10 frames, with the associated text defined. The first frame should be the "rest" frame, i.e. a closed mouth. The next, "Frame #1", would then store "AI" as well as any other phonemes you may have that need the same graphic.

What is the issue you're having, exactly? Are they not being read at all, or not being read correctly? The Console will inform you if an expected lipsync file cannot be found.

From what I've gathered reading the other threads AC doesn't understand AI, it would have to be "A/I/AI" I reckon?

No, those are all treated separately. "AI" isn't included in the default set, but perhaps it should be in Frame 1.

How exactly does AC understand what "etc" "rest" frames in a file created by Papagayo mean?

"etc" and "rest" specifically are actually ignored - though I could amend this if necessary.

The processing of Papagayo files occurs in the Dialog script, around line 628. Commenting out the line:

if (!searchText.Contains ("rest") && !searchText.Contains ("etc"))

..would allow those two texts to be processed as any other.

• Thank you very much for clarifying! :smiley:
    Works like a charm now! ~