Forum rules - please read before posting.

PopUp Check not working

edited July 2018 in Technical Q&A
Hi
I have an actionlist that checks whether one popup variable matches another popup variable, and if they're the same some dialogue plays.
They're literally both the same (all the options are Mon for now) and they both show up as Mon in the variables list when pressing play, but the dialogue doesn't play when clicking 'run'. In fact the dialogue plays if I link it under "if condition is not met". 

https://imgur.com/a/YI8qEIQ

The day always starts on Mon and it says so in the variables. It wouldn't change unless I sat on my computer for like 5 hours waiting for it.

Any idea why it does this?
Thanks!

Comments

• Comparing two PopUp variables definitely should work. My guess is that the problem is that Events/Concert, which you don't show here, has been set to False somewhere, so the first condition check fails and it never actually gets to run the PopUp comparison
    • My guess is that the problem is that Events/Concert, which you don't show here, has been set to False somewhere
    That could be checked for easily enough with an ActionList: Comment Action in the "If condition is not met" output socket.

However, it's important to note that a comparison check with PopUp variables queries the current index value - not the string value itself.  So, if Misc/Day is Mon, that means it's value is actually 0 (with Tue=1, Wed=2) etc.

With Events/Day, all string values are the same - meaning we can't determine from your screenshots which index it's actually set to.  I'm not actually sure of the benefit of having them all be the same values, but even setting them to unique strings temporarily will help make things clear.
  • Hiya
    Yes the problem was value being 1,2,3 etc instead of the Mon Tue Wed like I thought it was. I made the event day Mon for all of the variables assuming that it would be the same variable every time and so would always match the game day, but of course it didn't. But now I know how it works I found a way around it, so thanks! :)