Forum rules - please read before posting.

Activate hotspot interaction without requiring mouse over?

Hi there,

I'm currently making a third person adventure using Invector for my movement. I have interactions working, but at present they require the camera to be looking at the hotspot (as the hidden cursor is locked in the center of the frame).

I want to be able to activate the hotspot interactions without having the camera pointing at the hotspot itself, and just rely on the hotspot detector on the player (which sits just in front of them).

Is this possible out of the box with Adventure Creator? If so, how does one achieve this?

Kindest,
Mark

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @marky.

Could you please post your full Settings Manager, as well as describe how you want to be able to activate Hotspot interactions.  Should this be with a keypress, selecting an icon from a menu, or just a single input to run a default interaction?
  • edited February 2018
    Hi Chris,

Thanks!

As for how I would like to activate Hotspot interactions, the best example I can give would be how they are handled in Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The character will face a terminal, or a sign, or an NPC, and a little prompt will pop up. Then, based on the controller button press, the hotspot will be activated. Oftentimes there will just be the one possible interaction, but for my purposes it would be nice to have the ability to do a positive or negative version of an interaction. This should all be able to be executed regardless of whether or not the camera is facing the hotspot, all that should matter is that the character is facing it.

Hope that makes sense, regardless here's a Zelda clip that exemplifies what I mean, see 1:50 for the first example:

Please see below for my settings:

• edited February 2018
    OK.  Under your Movement settings, set your Movement method to Direct, and check both of the cursor toggles.  Then under Hotspot settings, set Hotspots in vicinity to Nearest Only.

If you're using a custom motion controller, you may need to use the Engine: Manage systems Action to prevent AC from moving the player as well - but the "Direct" movement option will have the player vicinity select Hotspots as well as highlight them, as opposed to using the mouse cursor (which will make it camera-dependent if the cursor is in the centre).

If you're just using two interactions, you may be able to get by with Context Sensitive mode (pressing the InteractionA input will run Use, InteractionB will run Examine), but for greater control you'll need to look into Choose Hotspot Then Interaction mode.
  • @ChrisIceBox You sir, are a legend. Thank you kindly!