Forum rules - please read before posting.

Call for testers: v1.61

edited January 2018 in Official news
Version 1.61 brings in a bunch of refinements and features - chief among them 2D head-turning, improved navigation of direct-controlled menus, and performance enhancements.

The performance boost should improve startup times a little - particularly on mobile.  However, because it's achieved with a re-write of how AC tracks scene objects, I'll need some testers to put it through its paces before an official release.

If interested, please post a reply.  Thanks for reading.

Current changelog:

Upgrade notes
  • When left-clicking a Hotspot with no Use interactions in Context Sensitive mode, the Player will move to the Hotspot's "Walk-to Marker" if one is defined
  • The _Camera script now has a Start function - any custom cameras that derive from it need to override it
  • Calling StateHandler's GatherObjects function is no longer necessary after adding or removing objects from the scene via custom script
2D characters
  • Added: Independent head-turning for 2D characters
  • Added: Sprites Unity-animated characters can opt to have their head animations played on a separate layer, allowing for independent moving and talking
  • Added: Ability to snap "Facing angle" parameter for Sprites Unity Complex characters to the nearest 45 or 90 degrees
  • Added: Ability to explicitly assign a Sprites Unity character's Animator if one is not present on the sprite child
  • Fixed: "Turn float" parameter for Sprites Unity Complex characters not being set correctly when walking
  • Fixed: Error with Sprites Unity-animated characters that have lip-syncing enabled but no Talk animation supplied
Menus
  • Added: Overhaul of AC-menu keyboard navigation - Horizontal and Vertical axes will now select the most natural element
  • Added: Option to not update Label elements of type "Hotspot" while the player is moving to a Hotspot
  • Added: Ability to set a mouse-over cursor when interacting with Drag menu elements
  • Changed: When directly-navigating an AC Slider menu element, the Horizontal axis is now used to change its value - not the InteractionA button
  • Fixed: Critical bug with Unity UI-based Menus and loading screens
  • Fixed: Default SubtitlesUI menu prefab not allowing for dynamic positioning
Speech
  • Added: Option to not play character talking animations forever if a speech line is set to display until the user skips it
  • Added: Minor cosmetic improvements to Phonemes and Speech Tags editor windows
Navigation
  • Added: Minor visual improvements to "Retro-mode" character movement
  • Added: Improved interface when defining holes in a 2D Navigation Mesh
  • Added: Exposed shared-layer separation distance for Sorting Maps in GameEngine's SceneSettings component
  • Added: Warning message if no Default NavMesh assigned when using Point And Click movement
  • Fixed: Characters moving without pathfinding via the "Character: Move to point" Action being interrupted if the active NavMesh is changed
  • Fixed: Footstep Sounds component playing sounds automatically even when set to play only via animation events
Hotspots
  • Added: Ability to prevent Highlight component from working automatically when its associated Hotspot is selected
  • Changed: When left-clicking a Hotspot with no Use interactions in Context Sensitive mode, the Player will move to the Hotspot's "Walk-to Marker" if one is defined
Other
  • Added: General performance improvements
  • Added: Asset license file to the 2D Demo's Graphics folder
  • Added: Manual chapter on the Highlight component
  • Changed: Calling StateHandler's GatherObjects function is no longer necessary after adding or removing objects from the scene via custom script
  • Fixed: Conversation's "TurnOff" method turning off the active Conversation even if it is not the same as the one invoked
  • Fixed: Player jump animations not playing in Unity 2017.3
  • Fixed: InputGetFreeAimDelegate override for free-aiming not having an effect when using Touch Screen input
  • Fixed: Calling a Highlight component's HighlightOnInstant method brightening materials even if auto-brightening is disabled
  • Fixed: Minor cursor display issues

Comments

• It will probably break my game, but I see so many nice things... :-?

Count me up!
  • If you need someone who's just about to start a new project from scratch, you can sign me up.
  • Chris, What is exactly "head - turning" for 2D? Can we use this for custom all body turning instead "turn before walking" too?
  • Thanks for the response - I'll contact people through PM.

@Mehrdad: No, this is the 2D equivalent of the head-turning feature that is already available in 3D.  It means you can have a 2D character face Hotspots with their head automatically, or any given character through the Character: Face object Action.
  • Not sure which update it came in but it appears hotspots in distance now have their own layer, but AC is refusing to accept it, it wont make it or use mine. I noticed hotspots were using a lot of cpu time so hopefully this fixes it once my layer issue is fixed :) I have hacked in a lot of optimisations to AC but looks like you are nailing them properly over time. I wish there was a way to optimise npc movement too "properly".
  • @radiantboy: Please elaborate on both issues in a new thread.  The "DistantHotspots" layer was introduced v1.56b but is optional under "Hotspot settings".