Forum rules - please read before posting.

general dev: "Reset text" and line ids

u.5.3.7p1
ac.1.54c

when I "reset text" and then press "Gather text"
the new line ids don't start at 0 but from the last max_id before it was reset

Comments

• Good spot, thanks!
  • I just did a reset text followed by a "gather text" with your latest version 1.55a.

Having about 1500 speech lines the ids start at 158 and after  a couple jump to 4000 then go up to 6000.

i thought the ids would start at 1 and would count up to 1500.
    The "reset text" button warns about completely reseting the ids of every text
    but I ve compared some ids with the ones after the reset and the gather and they are still the same.

I don't have any problems.
    It is just something I noticed, maybe it helps somehow.

• What were the IDs attached to, specifically?
  • mainly speech actions, but pretty much everything. There are MenuElements, Hotspots, ....
    The lowest id is 134 and a empty Speech
    Followed by 376 HotspotPrefix also empty
    487 speech
    560 speech
    697 hotspotprefix empty
    some empty speech till 800
    then from 800 > some characters
    and variables
    until 
    and then it starts with the rest of the speech actions and the all other 
     at 4415 to 6121.

• I also got a new menu item (button)
    when I hover the mouse I get a ton of 
    "Cannot find translation for 'Walkthrough' because the text has not been added to the Speech Manager.

-> AC debug logger
    "
    altough I clicked gather text before.

• In what version of Unity now?  Please give details/screenshots about the Menu and Button - is the log correct in that it's not listed in the Speech Manager?
  • u5.3.7p2 still
    found the cause of the translation warning (not the id stuff)

(my girlfriends needs to watch bridget jones baby and I'm allowed to work while acting like watching - a lot of testing time :)

using Hotspot label override causes ... in the console

Cannot find translation for 'ddd' because the text has not been added to the Speech Manager.

-> AC debug logger

so the temp. solution for me is to leave it empty for now
  • I have tested and investigated the problems with speech ids I got.
    don't think it only affects me.

for the last 6 hours tested the 2d demo with various unity versions and 2 ac versions.
    here is a video that shows the problems and behaviours
    i hope this helps

• Thank you, I'll let you know if I need any more info.
  • Just so I can rule out the first thing: are you adding the Park scene to Unity's Build settings?  That's essential for translations to work, as it's how AC knows which scenes to search.

At 11 minutes into the video, you're running the ActionList while a translation is used instead of the game's (i.e. the ActionLists) original language.  This is why updating the text in the ActionList isn't affecting the text displayed in-game: the translation has already been created from the original value, and is now up to you to modify within the Speech Manager or via CSV imports.

The "Hotspot label override" not getting translated is a bug, and will be fixed in v1.55b.
  • I can't believe I fell for the build settings thing again. That was the reason why I didn't get new ids

The second thing: I got certainly got confused by the translation being used instead of the text in the action. 

You helped me a lot! Thank you very much!

I'm a little bit nervous because I'll soon have to do the voice recordings.
    And renumbering 1500 audio files would be horrible in case of something happens.
  • You certainly don't want to be re-setting your game text once you begin voice recording.

As for the Prevent original language from being used? option, that basically means the text entered into AC's Actions, Editor windows etc is ignored so far as what's displayed goes - and only text translated via the Speech Manager is displayed.  This means you can re-write your game's original language text via a CSV file in the same way you can translations.
  • I must confess, this confused me quite a bit.
    Thank you for the explanation.

• edited September 2017
    im confused Chris
    You wrote
    "This means you can re-write your game's original language text via a CSV file in the same way you can translations."
    but with this option checked or not, you always CAN NOT import original text thru CSV, always have to change it by searching Action and then change inside Actionlist. It was logic for me with this option unchecked i could import original text and it would show in select of CSV import translation, but it doesnt.

Prevent original language from being used? - checked, disables choosing original language in game.
    is that right?
  • Prevent original language from being used? - checked, disables choosing original language in game.
    is that right?

That's correct.  When checked, the text that appears in ActionLists etc is not used - only translations listed in the Speech Manager.

What's important to understand is that the default language is then treated like any other translation - you don't replace the text in ActionLists, and you don't import original text.  It just makes the first listed translation in your Speech Manager the default (even if this is technically the same language that the game is created in), and prevents the text in your ActionLists from being used directly.
  • ok, so is there anyway with this option checked or not to export/import original text thru CSV?
  • You import the text as a new language.  The "original text" as in the ActionList strings do not get overritten through CSVs.

Once the option is checked, add a language (Language #1) and name it.  Then export the original text, but make amendments to the new language.  Then import this new language, not the original text.  Because Language #1 is now the default, only that will be seen by the player.
  • ok, i guessed that, 
    if you cannot change original text in actions thru CSV it leads to point (when you have more languages) if you change some text line (thrid party person Editor) i must:

1. treat text in Action as reference for gamestory scenario for example "text#0987" and real text will be in languages not original text and then checkbox checked, otherwise it leads to problem coz first version will be in original text and Editor changes text it gets updated only in languages.
    2. If Editor changes text in CSV and original text is treated as first language it must be changed manually

Also having real text (updated) in Actions is some help rather than having for ex "text#0987"
    but it is just maybe my way of working on game

• edited September 2017
    Correct - if you're relying on just Speech Manager languages, then the actual Action text just becomes a reference.

Someone has, however, written an Editor tool to let you mass-replace Action speech text: see this thread.