Forum rules - please read before posting.

Are multiple idle animations for one character possible?

Hi

The main player character of my game smokes a cigarette as his idle animations. But there are times when I don't want him to be smoking - at a crime scene for example. How is this possible?

I'm guessing it has something to do in the animator controller - from Entry -> Idle transition, some parameter must make it go to idle2 instead, but I'm not sure which.

Should I create a copy of the player character prefab with a different animator controller that I use only for those non smoking scenes? Is a clone the way to go? 

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Would not recommend copies of player prefabs.

You could change your character's idle animation with: Character > Animate > Method: Set Standard > Change: Idle > Clip
  • @brentk I didn't know about that one - I'll try it out and let you know how it goes. Thanks a lot!
  • If you're using a parameter-based animation engine (Mecanim / Sprites Unity Complex), probably best to introduce a boolean parameter in your Animator Controller that causes a different set of Idle animation(s) to play when checked, rather than changing the name of the Idle animation itself.

The same Character: Animate Action can be used to change Animator parameter values at runtime.
  • @chrisicebox Sorry for the late reply, but setting a boolean parameter and activating it with an onstart cutscene worked for me. Thanks!