Forum rules - please read before posting.

Keyboard-Controlled Menus Without Pausing Game?

So sorry, as I almost feel like I personally have asked this question before, but is it possible to control menus via keyboard without pausing the game?

Has anyone figured out a way of doing this, even if it's somewhat janky?

Let me know, thanks!

Comments

• Oh, and just to let everyone know how I've been working around it - imperfectly - has been to forego scrolling through a menu and instead utilizing the 'Alternative Input Button' field to tie direct keyboard shortcuts to menu options.

So, for example, on my title scene - the one I don't want paused - I have the option 'New Game' written out as '(N)ew Game' and then I tie the input 'n' to it. 

I'd rather be able to scroll through the menu with a keyboard while the scene remains unpaused, but this isn't a bad solution...!
  • The Engine: Manage systems Action can be used to enable keyboard-controlled Menus outside of Pause mode.
  • So it can! Works perfectly!

Thanks Chris!
  • @willoneill
    May I ask what your Manage systems configuration was to get it to work?
    I have Menus enabled and Movement disabled but still not working. Curious if I'm missing something here. Thanks!
  • Hey Brent,

Here's an image of how I configured the action: http://imgur.com/a/YzE88

I have this action run as part of my opening cutscene.

I'll be honest, I'm not really sure why it works! I'm using the 'Direct' control method by default, so I assumed that all of these would be set to 'Direct' without me doing this explicitly.

For some reason, though, this did the trick! Good luck!

• @willoneill
    Thank you! Looks like I was an update behind from having the Control in-game menus option in the system manager :)
    Appreciate the screenshot to let me know that!