Forum rules - please read before posting.

Escape the Room Game and Parallax Effect

Hi there.

1) Is it possible to create a classic escape the room game with AC?
Seen from first-person-perspective, with a non-visible actor?

The first-person-controller which you can select in the wizard applies only to 3D games, isn't it?

How can I do the settings for an escape-the-room game?

2) Is it possible to add a parallax effect, which reacts to the mouse movement and not to the position of my actor?

How can I do this?

Thanks so far.

Comments

• Im confused to what you are asking, but it can be done for both 2d and 3d, and the parallax is easy to code to follow mouse even if its not a standard AC thing.
  • 1) If you want mouse-look, you will need to make use of a First Person player.  However, you can use the Player: Constrain Action to lock player movement, so that the player can mouselook only in one spot.  If you don't need mouse-look, you don't need to have a Player prefab and can set your Movement method to None.

2) Standard parallax effects work because of the change in camera position.  If you want the mouse position to affect the position of a parallax sprite, you may have to write a custom script - though it'll be easier to know for sure if you can provide a diagram or example of what you mean.
  • Thank you for your answers.

1) Could you give me a little hint or tutorial where I can set up the Player: Constrain Action? Where can I lock the player movement? I read something about the AC_UFPSPlayerPrefabs. Is that the right way?

2) Attached a Mockup of my game screen. There are basically to layers. The wall and the windows in the background. And the seats and the luggage rack at the front. These two layers or even the front layer should react the the mouse movement.

• You can use the Player: Constrain action on your OnLoad actionlist or any other actionlist really. Umm.. but, you seem to be new to AC, so I'd really, recommend you take your time to read the whole manual and watch all the video tutorials to get you started (Using first person is explained in the manual if I remember well). And yes, I mean all of the videos, not just the one for the type of graphics you use, each one teaches you something essential about AC which will apply in all scenarios.

You'll find the tutorials in this page. There are video tutorials which are nice to start with. There are also text based tutorials which go more in depth. And the manual should be in the Adventure creator folder inside your project's Asset folder.

Anyway, AC is very extensive, you can do a lot of things with it, so if you don't first take a few hours of your time to learn the tool you will quickly feel lost.
  • If you want to lock player movement for the whole game, create an ActionList asset file with the Player: Constrain Action, and assign it as your ActionList on start game field in the Settings Manager, which will run before anything else.

The UFPS prefabs are example prefabs that work with the Ultimate FPS asset, which is another asset on the Unity store for FPS movement.

You haven't described in what way the graphics react to the mouse movement, but I suspect you're going to want to need a custom script for that as its unique to your game.  You can get some help related to that on the official Unity forums, as this forum is intended for AC-related problems.
  • Thanks for your hints. It works :-)