Forum rules - please read before posting.

Camera ID not available in Action List Editor

Hi,

I followed your tutorial on creating a back button when game is in a close up cam mode. When I try to reference the camera's ID to switch back to, the action list panel doesn't allow me to enter a cam by ID number. The 'Camera: Switch' panel doesn't show the (ID) behind the camera to switch to. 

What am I doing wrong? Am using version 1.52a.

Comments

• You don't need to enter the ID number by hand - just drag the Camera GameObject into the Action's New camera field, and it should generate an ID number automatically.
  • Ok thanks, got that!

Working on this, I realised I'd need to make a new menu button each time I would need to cut back from close up to the current cam. Or am I missing something? I have several situations in my game where the player is at a certain point in the scene, clicks a hotspot that switches the camera to close up on an object. What I want, is that I place a 'Back' item on screen that switches the camera back to a camera I can specify. Right now, I do this with hotspots. But I want the more elegant approach of having a nice gui arrow on screen instead....
  • I see why you asked the first question now - the text tutorial's out-of-date, and I'll need to update it.

You can see a much more detailed tutorial on creating close-ups at this point in the 3D game tutorial.  Basically you can either use parameters to change the Actions at runtime, i.e. each time the button is clicked.
  • Ok got the most part. But not quite there yet. 

-I have made a menu called Back button. That menu contains one button ( a down arrow).
    -I have made an action list that turns on the menu.
    -The button inside the menu also has an action attached to it: switch camera + turn off menu. 

How do I pass on the parameter 'Camera To Switch To' to the button inside the menu once I activate the menu?

I have various hotspots in my scene. Each of them should be able to activate the Back Menu and pass a parameter 'Camera To Switch To' to that menu, so that once the down arrow is clicked, we go back to that specific camera in the scene.

I understand how to pass on a parameter to the menu, but not how to make the back button inside that menu to pick up that parameter once it's being clicked.
  • Parameters are normally set within the ActionList: Run Action (i.e. at the time the ActionList itself is run), however you can also use the Parameter: Set Action to set them beforehand.

You can therefore use this Action to set which camera to switch back to at the time you turn the Menu on.  However!  I've just found a bug that causes GameObjects passed as parameters using this Action to an ActionList asset to not work properly.  I'll fix this in the next release, but in the meantime you can fix it manually by opening ActionParamSet.cs and inserting the following just beneath line 91 (before the closing brace '}"):

http://paste.ofcode.org/dGSQT4ZbjStqytdFkc5Par

You'll also have to ensure your Cameras have Constant ID components attached to them, which allow assets to view them.
  • Thanks Chris, will have a look into it!

But first: holidays!

:-)