Forum rules - please read before posting.

Using Inputs

Hi, I want to use the letter 'I' to pull up inventory and 'M' to pull up menu, but I am a bit confused how to do this easily, any tips?

Comments

• For inventory, set Appear Type to On Key Press. In the toggle key box, put Inventory (or whatever you've called it)
  • Also make sure the keys are assigned in the InputManager which you can find in Edit> Project Settings> Input.
  • Heya, do you guys know whether it is possible to have the inventory appear by clicking on a 'button' rather than using the keyboard? (e.g. clicking on a suit case that is constantly displayed in the corner of the screen, similar to Broken Sword etc)
    I'm pretty new to this so any help would be appreciated :)
    Maria
  • Of course!  Just create a new Menu in your Menu Manager, and inside that create a Button.  If you have Test in Game Window? at the top checked, you'll be able to preview it while you change the style properties, and then set the button's Click type to Run Action List.  You'll then be able to create and assign a new ActionList asset file that gets run whenever the button is clicked.

Inside that ActionList, you'll want to place a Menu: Change state Action that you can use to turn on your Inventory menu.

You can read a tutorial about running ActionLists from Buttons here.
  • I have called my inventory -  Inventory, but it does not appear in Edit> Project Settings> Input to them assign a key to it 
  •  You may need to add Inventory to an additional 'axis' in the Input Manager ('i' should be both the positive and negative input key - to open & close the inventory).

• How do i dadd an additional axis into the input manager? i do not see how?

thanks
  • Just increase the Axes Size by 1.
  • Still having trouble with this, i have created a new axis in inout manager, named it as new menu element in my menus, chosen input key in the menu, and put in both positive and negative input key as i, or, m or escape, and it consistently tells me it cannot find inout key, pease define in input manager?
  • Yes, it should be the name of the toggle key, not the key itself. So, put "Inventory", rather than "i." Made the same mistake myself. :)
  • Thank, you it works now!