Forum rules - please read before posting.

Setting up a First Person Character Body

edited February 2023 in Technical Q&A

I was wondering what the best way to set up a First Person Character Body would look like.

I have attached a Rigged Mixamo Body to my First Person Prefab as a Child of FirstPersonPlayer and just set it to another Layer, because i wanted it to be invisible on my Main Camera, so there's no clipping. That's because the Character Body only has to be visible when seen through other Cameras, that works great.

But what would be the best way to synchronize the animations of the Body with the movement of the Camera, like walking, being idle etc.?

The Character has a Blend Tree with just 3 Animations and the Parameter of "ForwardSpeed" which is also set in the Mecanim parameters as Move Speed float.

Comments

• edited February 2023

Oh, i've got it working, i just needed to set the optional Animator on the Player Settings in the PreFab. All good :)

If someone wants to do the same, i'd recommend using a fully rigged Character with fitting Animations for all the motions, you could use the Blink Character just for testing purposes: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/fantasy/free-low-poly-human-rpg-character-219979

I have taken the Character Prefab and put it as a Child of the FirstPersonPlayer in the Prefab.
    Then i copied the FirstPerson Animator Motions and Blendtree and put it on my Character Animator, i also copied the two Parameters "ForwardSpeed" and "SideSpeed" into my Character Animator.

On the FirstPersonPlayer i have set the Move speed float on the Mecanim Parameters to "ForwardSpeed" and in the Mecanim settings below, i have put in the Animator for my Character Graphics in the "Animator (optional)" field. And that's it.