Forum rules - please read before posting.

Milkmaid of the Milky Way

edited November 2015 in Games showcase

Hi fellow AC users!

The past six months or so I've been working late nights and weekends on my labour of love: Milkmaid of the Milky Way.

It's a classic adventure game that focuses on story, exploration and some light puzzles and is set in a Norwegian fjord in the late 1920's. You play as Ruth who is living on a remote farm by herself after her parents passed. You do the best you can, but running a farm by yourself is not easy, especially when strange things start happening to you and your cows.

I've created a teaser trailer with alpha gameplay from the first act of the game. There is still lots and lots of work to do, but wanted to share with you something that is made with Chris' wonderful Adventure Creator asset.

You can check out my devblog for more info:

http://milkmaidgame.com

Thanks for watching!

Comments

• edited November 2015
    This looks really cool and promising :)

I find the camera angles (I hope that they were not just for the trailer!), the animations and the background art to be very interesting and clever. The whole premise of the game is actually really well put!

The only other comment I would make - that is dictated just by my own taste and therefore can be trashed right away - is that while the smooth movement (not "Only move when sprite changes", that is) looks great when the character is far from the camera, looks a little worse when it comes to scenes like the one at 0:28 in the video, where she climbs the mountain. I'm more of a chunky-movement fanatic when it comes to pixel art, but again... It's just me! :D

That said, I'm looking forward to it! Best of luck with the development!
  • Hi dude, thanks so much for your feedback!

I agree that movement at times looks really off, especially vertical/diagonal movement. I have an 8 directional sprite, but somehow AC really seems to prefer the left/right sprite animation when moving diagonally. I really should try to fix that in the scene you pointed out, thanks for reminding me!

I did try "only move when sprite changes", but I couldn't really make it work with my sprite animations. I'm probably gonna piss off a lot of pixel art lovers with my game! B-)

Regarding camera angles, I have spent a lot of time trying to create dynamic and interesting backgrounds and use perspectives whenever I can. Not everything turns out the way I might have dreamed of, but it's fun trying to push the art direction as much as I can.
  • Milkmaid of the Milky Way is now in beta and playable from start to finish. Some bugs and tweaks remain, and then there's that whole Greenlight business. But to celebrate my game getting closer to finished, here's another trailer:

• Hey the art looks great! I'm not a big fun of retro/pixel style but you make it look good man :)
  • Thanks Alverik!

My game is now on Steam Greenlight, I've made it into the top 100 but need more votes to get greenlit. If anyone thinks this might be an interesting game, please give it an upvote :)

• This looks sweet! Really nice work man. I especially like the rendering of the spaceship. 
  • More and more games I've seen here on the boards appear on steam and everywhere.
    This is amazing!

And Mr. Schafer is right!
    This looks amazing :D
  • Thanks Suro! And props to Chris for Adventure Creator!
  • Just wanted to let you know that Milkmaid of the Milky Way has now been released on Steam and App Store, you can check it out here if you like:

• Checking it out?
    Yeah. Not gonna happen.

I buy it instead! :p
    Thanks for the awesome price tag!
  • Haha!
    This is neat! Mr. Gilbert is playing your game (soonish)

• Bought and playing on iOS. Lovely artwork and colour palette you've got there!