Forum rules - please read before posting.

Screen Space and Sorting Map

In my various tests I'm trying this configuration:
2D game with 3D character, 2D camera perspective, Moving and Turning Screen Space, Movement Point and Click, Pathfinding Unity Navigation.
I can use both orthographic and perspective projection.
The camera is moved a bit upwards to frame the plane and give perspective to the character.
I'm currently working on orthographic and I'm experimenting that when the character moves away from the camera it becomes bigger and when approaching it becomes smaller. This is the opposite of what is happening correctly with prospective projection.
If I use Sorting Map, which from version 1.59a can also apply to 3D characters, the scale becomes correct.
I would like to know if this is normal and if the use of Sorting Map in this configuration could cause problems during the game.
To use the Sorting Map I have to turn off Apply Root Motion and thereby increase the speed in Animator Controller.
Chris, a question: I've tried using Animation Curve in Character Scaling Mode but the character starts from a very small size and it would seem impossible to bring it to normal size. Am I wrong?

Comments

• By "normal size", you mean what scale, exactly?  Your End scale value would suggest >200%.

When using an animation curve, the scale % is multiplied by the curve's height - so you'd need a maximum y-value of >2, not the default of 1.

I'm confused by your statement that characters get smaller when closer without the sorting map.  Are they actually getting smaller in terms of size on the screen, or just appear to be because of the perspective in the background (i.e. if you remove the background, do they still shrink?)

Either way, you would need to alter the character scale if you want the appearance of depth in Orthographic mode.  What was wrong with Perspective mode?
  • Yes, today Animation Curves works.
    Yesterday the character started from the same size today (very small) but it did not change in size whatever I did in the Animation Curve window. Probably enough to close and re-open Unity.
    You're still right, in the Orthographic Projection mode the character does not change size, it was an optical effect.
    I'm trying to figure out if I can work in Orthographic Projection mode to avoid having to rotate the background at the same time with the camera (to avoid background distortion) and that character's inclination problem when it's too close to the edges (in Perspective mode, of which I spoken in another discussion).