Forum rules - please read before posting.

First Person 2D need help starting

edited September 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hi I just started using AC.  I want to make a 1st person adventure.  Cant figure out how to start.  I go through the new game wizard, but can't get started from there.  Where do I put the background?  I had hoped to just drag a image on to the screen, then defining hot spots.  How to think..the way AC thinks?  

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @BlueJay.  For future reference, questions on using AC should be posted in Technical Q&A, but no worries.

If your first-person game is in 2D, you can just go and follow the normal steps for creating a 2D game - see Section 1.5 of the Manual, as well as the 2D video tutorial.  The key difference with yours is that you have no need for an on-screen Player, so the sections on creating a Player and NavMesh can be skipped over.

If you're completely new to AC, it's definitely recommended to go through the 2D tutorial regardless, since it covers the key features and workflow that most games share regardless of how the game is actually played.

Dragging your background image into the scene as a sprite is indeed the way to create your background, which you can then line up with your default GameCamera to look right in-game.  The Scene Manager can then be used to define Hotspots etc that the player can click on - just be sure that your Camera perspective setting in the Settings Manager is set to 2D, so that the 2D variants of prefabs are correctly listed in the Scene Manager.
  • Hi Chris.  Well when I tried that.. nothing showed up.. just a blue screen and "menu".  I must confess I am getting burnt out searching for solutions to my problems, and trying thing after thing. What I want to make is so simple! I'd just use TyranoBuilder, but it doesn't have quite enough power.  
  • It seems like AC or Unity don't like the PNG image...wants it converted to a sprite.
  • edited September 2017
    AC makes use of Unity for all its rendering/graphics, but Unity itself allows PNG images just fine - the file format, and texture type, are two separate properties in Unity.

To convert your image, select it in the Project window, go to its Inspector, and change its Texture type (at the top) to Sprite.

As this is a basic Unity workflow step, be sure to go through Unity's own interface tutorials as AC does assume a general knowledge of how Unity works.  This page covers Unity's various texture types.
  • hmm.. curious, I just stuck the graphic into the 2D demo and ran it.  It did display.  So its something else. Got to go back to the demo.  It would be nice if you had First Peson demos.  First person is very popular.  First person shooter, first person HOG games, detective games, etc.
  • Can you move this into "Technical Q & A"... meanwhile.. I just made my own game.  For First person, I dont know how to set up the Character Wizard.  I chose Sprite Unity.  Same thing.  Blue Screen with Menu works.. but no graphics.  I just dragged my graphic into "Set Geometery" there is nothing else in Set Geometry.
  • edited September 2017
    Details on creating 2D scenes, including required texture types, are given in Section 1.5 of the Manual.

Check that the sprite graphic is placed in front of the camera.  It may be that your Scene's Default Camera is placed at the same spot as your sprite, in which case it will not be viewable until the camera is pulled back.

A tutorial on first-person can be found here.  Be aware, however, that AC is not for shooters.

Is your game 3D or 2D as mentioned above?  If it's first person but 2D - as in, you don't see the player but instead just click on Hotspots in the scene - you don't need a Player prefab.  Simply placing a new GameCamera in the scene, and arranging it so that it can see your background image and Hotspots is enough.  If you can provide clearer detail on what it is exactly you're trying to achieve, then more specific help can be given.

If you do want a Player, however, you can learn how to use the Character Wizard by reading Section 3.1.1 of the Manual.  Be aware that creating a character is a separate process from creating a scene - once one is created, it is then ready to be placed in an AC scene.

The "Set Geometry" folder is just there for your convenience.  It is there for you to add your own scene graphics into it for organisational purposes - it is not populated with anything by itself.
  • Thanks.  I went to the 3D first person Tutorial on YouTube and am following, step by step.  One thing- I buy a lot of Unity Assets.  If they don't work right out of the box I just try another one!  Fungus don't seem to do all the things that AC does.  Or, I'll just try dropping the UNITY FP controller into a scene.  The reason I want 2D is the bandwidth.  At any rate, I am following this tutorial which is helpful, right in UNITY. 
  • I can appreciate that, but it is important to understand that AC is not an asset that can be picked up in five minutes.  It is essentially a game engine within a game engine, and not an asset that just focuses one thing that can be dropped into a scene.

Time must be taken to follow the tutorials and Manual, which may not suit everyone, but does give you the tools for a very powerful and flexible system.