Forum rules - please read before posting.

QTE Button Mash sequence

edited September 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hello again!

I've got another problem and it's again QTE. I'd like to create a QTE sequence that requires from player button mashing, but I'd also like to reduce progress in time with slower speed, so player has to mash the button to overcome reduction of progress.
Is there any way to solve this problem without using custom scripts?

Right now I have sequence that uses global variable and adds 1 on input and also reduces one when there is no input, but that is not exactly what I want.

One more thing: how to visualize the progress onto the bar - right I don't know how to connect both my sequence and progress bar.

I'm using Unity 2017.1 and AC 1.59

Comments

• The Input: QTE Action has a Button Mash option.  When chosen, a Cooldown effect? option appears, allowing you to have the progress go down over time if the player presses nothing.

However, I've discovered a UI issue with the Action that prevents the "cooldown time" from being set correctly.  I'll include a fix for this in the upcoming v1.59a update.
  • Thanks for response, I'm looking forward to the update then!
  • edited September 2017
    After the update it doesn't work either. When I check the "Cooldown effect?" checkbox and try to set up cooldown time it goes back to 0 every time. Maybe problem lies in the setup of that particular action on my part. I've attached screenshot of this action, prior and after that Input: QTE Action are only Menu: Change State (on/off) actions.

imageimage
  • Sorry, that's my fault.

I'll again issue a fix in the next update, but you can make the small tweak necessary in ActionQTE, line 214.  Replace:

cooldownTime = EditorGUILayout.Slider ("Cooldown time (s):", cooldownTime, 0f, cooldownTime);

with:

cooldownTime = EditorGUILayout.Slider ("Cooldown time (s):", cooldownTime, 0f, duration);
  • Great, it's working now, thanks a lot!
  • Hi Guys, old thread, but I noticed that when setting the duration to 0, there's no option to set cooldown time above 0. This would be useful for having a 'forced' QTE that you have 'unlimited' time to solve, but where if you're slow to tap, the taps decrease over time, reaching 0.

• In the same script I mentioned above, replace:

duration = EditorGUILayout.Slider ("Duration (s):", duration, 0f, 10f);

with:

duration = EditorGUILayout.FloatField ("Duration (s):", duration);

You can then enter "Infinity" into the box to have it last forever.