Forum rules - please read before posting.

Conversation starting without clicking (trigger collider and press e?) Combat?

So... this is a long shot, as I have no idea what I'm doing.

I've been working on creating a game for a bit now, and my intent all along was to have it be sort of an Action RPG/Dungeon Crawler (Story driven elements, conversations with NPCs, and fighting mobs).  I'm using the Invector controller, and am setting it up as Melee/Spell-casting.

I just recently picked up Adventure creator with the hopes of using it to drive conversations/Voice Audio/cut-scenes.  However, implementing it in the way that I was envisioning has proven to be difficult for me, and I'm at a loss and hoping someone has some ideas on how I could go about it.

Currently, my game starts and my Player character walks out into the first room.  I have an NPC created and is sitting in a chair in this first room, and I've gotten it to that it works that I can mouse over him and it states his name, and gives me the conversation Icon.  However, I also have left click set as attack.  So, if I click to start a conversation, my dude starts punching.

A few ideas that I have to make it work.  Would be if I could set up a trigger event where I could just hit E to interact with the NPC, and then have it switch to an AC controller and camera set up for navigating the menus, and then switch back when finished.  However, I have no idea how to go about setting this up. 

Any thoughts from the community?  Or, am I going about this all wrong, and shouldn't have assumed that I'd be able to use Adventure Creator for this?

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Depends how you are using AC, and the genre and camera style... also, when you have a hybrid, in some cases, you may want to disable some of AC's systems at certain points(Engine:Manage systems action). Or separate scenes with combat from non combat ones. You should take a look at the manual in topics 12.11 and 13.4.

You could also simply try playing with AC's control style and your Unity defined Inputs. ie: change the control style to "Controller Only" (which would make AC stop using the mouse altogether). Then, you could set you "Interaction A" input to use the E key (as far as I remember Interaction A fires AC's interactions...). Lastly I would set the character to "Detect hotspots in vicinity", that way only hotspots really close to the player will get active. But there's probably many other ways to do this.
  • Welcome to the community, @Steak.

AC can be used in conjunction with other gameplay assets, but how you go about it will be unique for each project.  The first thing I always advise is to be as well-versed in the way AC is "supposed" to work (i.e. by itself) as possible.  The 3D video tutorial is a good starting point for a general overview.

To second @Alverik's comments, individual systems of AC can be disabled/enabled at runtime using the Engine: Manage systems Action.  To disable the ability to click on Hotspots, you can disable the Interaction system.  More on this topic can be found in Section 12.11 of the Manual.

To prevent the LMB from causing the player to attack, you would have to amend the conditions for attacking to work from the other asset in question.  This would likely require custom scripting, but you can make use of AC's Global Variables system to help you.

For example, you could make a "Attacking Is Possible" boolean in the Variables Manager (which you can update at runtime with the Variable: Set Action), and then read its value before deciding if the LMB should result in an attack:

// Clicked LMB
    if (AC.GlobalVariables.GetBooleanValue (2))
    {
      // Can attack
    }

Where "2" is the ID number of the variable as shown in the Variables Manager.  More on reading/writing variables through script can be found on the front page of the scripting guide.

Alternatively, you can opt to prevent AC from respondong to standard mouse clicks with the Left and right mouse clicks have default functionality? option in the Settings Manager.  When left unchecked, you can then map the behaviour of a left-click to an Input named InteractionA.  For a full list of availabe inputs, see the Settings Manager or Section 2.15 of the Manual.