Forum rules - please read before posting.

[HELP] Action not firing in ActionList.

edited May 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hello all, ?

I have a cutscene that runs on start, ActionList has 4 actions, Actions 0, 1, and 2 fire and work fine, 3 never fires at all for some reason.

(Updated to 1.57) Tried same action list with new ActionList on start option, same issue.

Images of my ActionList editor and inspector -

I should add, it does not seem to be related to the the actual action itself, I have tried numerous ones, none fire and I have tried changing every setting/option I can think of.

Any assistance in figuring out why would be greatly appreciated. Any further info need please let me know. Thanks.

Mac OSX
UNITY 5.5.3F1
AC 1.57

Comments

• Can't recreate the problem, but be aware that tin the screenshot you're crossfading twice simulataneously because you aren't waiting for the first to finish before continuing.  Try checking Wait until finish? on Action 2.  If that doesn't make a difference, what happens if you instead replace it with a simple Engine: Wait Action?

Be aware that a handy debug trick is to write a comment for the Actions (click the "cog" icon in the ActionList Editor window), and then set these to display in the Console via the Settings Manager's Print Action comments in Console? option.
  • I have used the wait until finnish before, no luck. I have not tried an engine wait action in between the actions, though not sure that will make a difference as I have tried other actions and that 3rd action does not seem to fire. I will try the Debug comments to console to confirm. I will get back to you. TY.
  • edited May 2017
    Replace Action 2 - don't insert a Wait Action in between it and the other.  We need to determine if there is an issue with that Action in particular.
  • Yep, had a brain freeze, so focussed on 3 not firing completely forgot it was probably stemming form 2.
  • edited May 2017
    Ok, so I tried those suggestions and tinkered a bit. Seems I was not putting in the new camera before ticking the return to last gameplay option, [EDIT if that  even makes a difference as I now think does not] , as soon as it do that it works on play 1 time, but when I run it a 2nd time, it seems to lose reference to that camera and I have to manually place it again, it is just a cam in the scene. 

[EDIT] Ok, so thought it may be related to that cam, deleted it, created new one, now does not work again even 1st time, hmm.

[EDIT] Ok, even stranger, seems it works intermittently. Hit play 1st time works, make no changes, hit play again, does not, 3rd or 4th time works again.

[EDIT] Just ran it 4 times in a row, worked, then stopped again. and it does not seem to be an issue referencing the cam as I have not had to re-add it. I am now at a loss. Any ideas?

Ok, so it seems that putting an Engine wait of 1 sec after the 1st crossfade resolves the issue. Even with Wait on it. Then it will always fire whatever comes after, so looks like that 1st crossfade needs more time after before it fires the next.

• It may be that any amount of waiting can work - have you tried waiting e.g. 0.1s?
  • Not yet but thought about that as well and gonna try it.

I assume that I should not have to wait at all and that the Wait until finished alone should work all the time as you said you could not replicate it.

Wondering if it might be something related to tic's and my computer but having same issue on 2 of them may rule that out. Going to test a build without the engine wait and confirm if it's just in unity play mode as well.
  • If your final Action is a crossfade of zero time, try replacing it with a Camera: Switch instead.
  • edited May 2017
    I actually did, with he same result. It all seems to be an issue related to the initial crossfade action for some reason. However, when I change that initial crossfade to a switch, works fine, no engine wait needed. As I like the travel options and curves with the switch action, I will be using that for this section instead so not an issue, as for the crossfade, seemingly putting an engine wait in-between it and next action works, tried 0.1, as you surmised, works fine. So, either it is an issue with that particular action as it relates to what comes next, or my particular set up or hardware I assume.
  • or my particular set up or hardware I assume.

As I am unable to reproduce the problem, that may well be the case.
  • Thanks for the swift responses. Feel free to mark resolved.