Forum rules - please read before posting.

Cutscene dialogue loop interrupts players dialogue.

Hi I have a cutscene with a loop for an NPC like this

The variable was set to avoid the loop text to keep appearing when the player starts to talk to the NPC. However we realized that the player dialogues are being interrupted by this dialogue loop even with the background text checkbox marked. How can we avoid this?

Thank you.

Comments

• You can set a Subtitles Menu to display for all speech, blocking speech and background speech.  If you want a background speech and a blocking (normal) speech to display at the same time, you can create a separate Subtitles Menu used exclusively for background speech.
  • We created another subtitles menu for the background speech, but the behavior is the same. Do we need to change anything else? Thanks!

• Sorry to jump in without anything useful to add, but what exactly is "Blocking Speech"?
  • @PinheadGames: "Blocking Speech" is any speech that causes gameplay to be disabled while it runs.  The separation between that and "Background Speech" allows you to have "background chatter" from NPCs given less prominence that regular speech.

@HarleyFuagrás: Are both appearing on the separate Menus as intended?  Try the Duplicate for each line? menu property - that will prevent new speech lines from replacing an existing one.  Otherwise, I think I'll need to see more detail about how and when these lines are playing / interrupted.
  • Marking duplicate for each line on Subitltes works. The dialogues are not being interrupted.

What does "duplicate for each line" mean? And what other uses does it have? We don't get it.
  • It means that each dialogue line will be given its own instance of the Subtitles Menu, as opposed to the same one being shared by all.

This means that, if two characters were to speak at the same time, each could have their dialogue played on-screen because each has their own menu.  Otherwise, any dialogue playing will be interrupted when another speech line begins.
  • Ok. Thank you!